So the window doesnt exist? (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Henry Jones from 63-MADR-X26.libre.retevision.es on May 21, 2000 at 15:23:24:

In Reply to: OH, MY GOD! It's the Church!!!! posted by mlif on May 17, 2000 at 19:39:42:

: I have had the extreme pleasure of ACCIDENTALLY finding the Venice Church (Library) when in Venice in 1995.

: I must relate the story.

: So, I'm in Europe with a friend of mine. He's far from being an Indyphile, unlike myself. We've driven from Canne to Padova, Italy. We take the Train to Venice. We get there and we have all of these brochures of the attractions of Venice.

: He says "Well, the only thing I'm really interested in seeing here is the Grand Plaza. Is there anything you'd like to see?"

: "Ah, well. The catacombs. That would be cool."

: "No, I don't think so. That sounds gross, " he says.

: "Well, there's on other thing, but it's way, too geeky. Besides, I've have no clue where it would be." I of course am thinking: "I really want to see the church for Last Crusade."

: A word about Venice. It's a series of mazes connecting HUNDREDS Of Plazas, the apex of each plaza being a church.

: We decide that our trip around Venice will be random. I took a map, and drew a random path through the mazes to the Grand Plaza, then another random path from the plaza to the train station via another route.

: We go to the Grand plaza. I run out of film and decide not to buy anymore (had already gone through 5 rolls). We start heading back to the train station. We enter another plaza. I get this really wierd feeling. Something's familiar, but I have no idea what. I get the to center of the plaza. Still this wierd, hair on the back of my neck feeling. I slowly turn around and there - Right behind me -

: "OH, MY GOD! It's the Church!!!" What are the chances of that? I randomly picked this plaza totally out of the blue.

: "Ah. Venice."

: It was very cool. They must have cleaned it for the film, cause it was the only nice, white church I saw. It did not appear to be open to the public. The plaza was the same, and the canal that Indy, Brody and Elsa cross to get there is right next to it. Hell, even the little fruit barg thing was still there. I've got pics of the canal, the little bridge and the Church that approimate my memory of the shots in the film (god, what a geek I am.), as well as me infront of it. I'll scan them and post them.

: I have the map I used somewhere. I will try to dig it up. When are you leaving exactly?

: Send me your email address when you get a chance.

: Troy

: P.S. Yes, the church interiors were on a sound stage. If you look at the set pieces carefully, they are very obviously fake. Especially the "book" case behind Indy when he does the "X marks the spot" line.

:
: : Good afternoon everyone,

: : I've been an Indiana Jones fan from the very beginning (unlike the Star Wars Trilogy, I can clearly remember seeing all three Indy films in the theaters) and am happy to see that even 11 years after "Last Crusade" was released, there is still interest in the character and his exploits.

: : Now I have a question for all of you, and forgive me if it's been asked before. I'm curious to find out the name of the building that Spielberg used as the exterior of the Venice library/church in "Last Crusade." I'll be in Venice early next month and I'd really like to visit all the Venice locations when I'm there (I already know to stop at the Vaporetto pier next to Santa Maria della Salute where Indy and Marcus first met Elsa). There was a sign to the left of the door (when the Brotherhood come rushing out after Indy and Elsa), but the shot is too short for me to make out what it said.

: : Any help would be greatly appreciated!

: : Regards,
: : R.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: