Re: Indyesque adventure

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dakota Ellison from spider-wb012.proxy.aol.com on May 22, 2000 at 16:12:53:

In Reply to: Indyesque adventure posted by Steve on May 22, 2000 at 12:19:29:

: I went on a short backpacking trip this weekend and ended up losing one of my Miller fedoras in the process. Basically I slipped and fell down a small cliff into Sipsey Creek that is located in Sipsey Wilderness that is a part of Bankhead National Forest. In the process I knocked out one of my front teeth and got a pretty good bump on the head as well. Unlike Indy, the fedora came off my head somewhere along the fall, and must have fallen into the creek and drifted away. Must have been a bit dazed, because I can't recall seeing it floating away. To add insult to injury, I decided to take a shortcut that is off the main trail, relying on a topographic map and an old Silva compass that has served me quite well in the past, only to discover, after it was too late, that this compass purchased in the 70's, had lost its magnatism and was useless in determining the direction of north. Using the sun and dead reckoning, I finally made it to a road, and eventually got back to my car. Of course I was late getting home and my family had already sent out a search party to find me. Thank goodness they had a cell phone and I caught them before they arrived at the destination. They insisted that I got lost, but in actuality, I always knew where I was, although I was a bit confused at times. Now they have this insane notion that I should take someone with me the next time I decide to take a trek. Fat chance that this will happen. I have always enjoyed solo backpacking, and as I pointed out to them, I survived this slight accident, and made my way back home. Anyone else ever had an experience like this? The worse thing about this accident is the loss of one of my fedoras. Regards, Steve

No experience like that, but as the owner of a Miller (and a capped front tooth) I can feel for your loss. Glad you made it OK though.

Ellison

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]