An additional source of information...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on May 26, 2000 at 12:36:11:

In Reply to: The biggest problem... posted by Michaelson on May 24, 2000 at 11:09:22:

: : Tuesday night, Fox ran "Opening the Tombs of the Golden Mummies: Live!" One segment featured Samuel L. Jackson discussing Egypt-related flicks. Predictably, a long list of Mummy flicks (yes, starting with Brendan Fraser's entertaining Indy-wannabe "Mummy")tried to steal the spotlight from films like, "The Ten Commandments" and "Cleopatra." The grand finale of the segment was.... "RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK!!!" Whoo! As the Raiders March played over some original background music, Indy snatched a golden idol, outran a giant boulder, extricated the secrets from the Map Room, dug up the Well of Souls, discovered the Ark of the Covenant, and was spared by the wrath of God which blew the Nazis up real good. It was a much-needed Indy plug; for some reason, Lucas did not seize the opportunity to catch his target audience and declined to advertise the Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones on this Fox special. "The Mummy" was out in full force, with ads for the videos and DVDs, along with an interview with the dude who played the Mummy, from the set of "The Mummy 2." Yet another painful example of Lucas' obsession with his "vision." Oh, well. I can't blame him. I would be even more insistent, domineering, and narrow-minded if it was my concept. Anyway, I would just like to say that I sported my Disney fedora during the whole thing! I know it's not accurate, all you Indy-Gearers, but it's the spirit of adventure that counts!

: : Fortune and Glory,
: : --IndyCrusader

: ...that I had with the entire thing was after the opening of the large tomb, Dr. Hawas's handling of the artifacts and bones was completely contrary to all common archaeological practices of cataloging of new and untouched finds at this level. I felt like I was watching a low budget treasure hunt, where you open the tomb, then root through the artifacts with no thought to the practice of applied archaeological science. More respect was shown in the tomb of the Golden Mummies, but that last opening was a real piece of work in my opinion. I expected better from such an Egyptologist as Dr. Hawas. Regards. Michaelson

...for those interested in this sort of thing, check out "www.guardians.net/hawass/" for a complete resume and project list that the good Dr. Hawass is responsible for and involved with, including new discoveries and articles. As I said in my posting above, with his impeccable background, this program did surprise me somewhat. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]