Reinventing the wheel comes to mind. (grins) (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on June 02, 2000 at 14:44:16:

In Reply to: Re: Dogma Indy Reference posted by Micah on June 01, 2000 at 17:29:06:

: : : After watching "Spielberg" show up on Clerks last night, I got to thinking about Dogma and the bit where Silent Bob throws the angels off the train. Some passengers look at him frightened, and the usually silent Bob, says "No ticket!." This is the exact same joke as in Last Crusade. Has anyone ever heard Kevin Smith say this as a reference? He makes a lot of movie references in general, but it just didn't have the FEEL of a reference. I don't know how to describe it... It just seemed like he stole the joke, or maybe he just forgot the source.

: : I've seen the same thing occur before on other shows, and I'm also wondering if it was intended, or that folks are familiar with the lines, but can't remember from where they came. Let's face it, in your exampe, the source was Last Crusade, and LC was 11 years ago. Not exactly recent memory (well, maybe it is for US (grins)). Regards. Michaelson

: Thanks for assuring me that I'm not crazy, at least on this point. I know why it doesn't FEEL like a reference after a little more thought. The humor for a reference usually lies in recognizing the situation as from another place, movie, TV show, etc. Unlike the rolling boulder, the "No ticket" scene isn't part of the collective memory of the unwashed masses (i.e. non Indy fanatics). Perhaps Kevin Smith thought it was a win-win situation. If we recognize that bit from Last Crusade, then we'll assume it's a reference, if not, it's funny anyway. I'm on to you man!

:
: --Micah

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: