Re: shaping my new Miller...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from 24.116.26.221 on June 04, 2000 at 20:26:01:

In Reply to: shaping my new Miller... posted by chris (a new guy) on June 04, 2000 at 18:56:39:

: ok guys, i took your advice and ordered myself the unbashed Indiana Miller. Now, when it gets here in a few days, what should i do to get the shape that i want. what is the best way to get the turndown brim and steam it so it stays that way? This will be my first good hat and i have little or no idea as to what im doing. any and all advice will be helpful here... thanks

: chris

I have cut and shaped several Millers now, and so far the best approach for me, is to use a steam iron on its lowest steam setting and press out that cupped brim. I might add that the least you have to use this pressing method- the better. AS soon as the brim is flat, cease and desist. Now it's time to cut that brim down. Use Patterson's mehod as described at Indy Gear, but make sure that you mark front and back centers of the hat so your cut won't be lopsided. Later on you can use the front and back center marks to line up the top crease, as well as putting your pinch in the right place. I always shape my hat as a last step, and have reverted back to steam, but only what is minimally necessary in order to shape it. These hats love to shrink, so keep that in mind. Hope this helps. Good luck! Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]