Re: Just explain me what this auction means...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace064.utsi.edu on June 12, 2000 at 16:13:11:

In Reply to: Just explain me what this auction means... posted by Henry Jones on June 12, 2000 at 16:02:30:

: Thanks to Ulla's post, i went to e-bay and searched for indiana jones. Then i came to this...indiana jones laser disc? what is that a dvd or a soundtrack????

: --Henry

The laser discs were the first industry run at attempting to leave the video format for a disc type format, that eventually failed. The discs themselves were the size of 33 1/3 LP records, and were tremendously expensive. I currently have a brand new Pioneer laser disc player that was "willed" to me in storage here at the Institute, and have absolutely nothing to play on it, or have any use for it except maybe anchor material. From what I read in industry trade mags, the main problem the disc had was two fold....limited storage space ON the disc for information, and the industry inability to do any editing to the information once it was transferred TO the disc. A real no-no for industrial video. I do understand that the clarity is exceptional, though. Hope this helps. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]