How did YOU know that? (grins) (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaleson from leospace064.utsi.edu on June 12, 2000 at 21:06:33:

In Reply to: I bet you still have an 8-track in your car... ;-) (NM) posted by Moribundman on June 12, 2000 at 19:04:00:

: : : : Thanks to Ulla's post, i went to e-bay and searched for indiana jones. Then i came to this...indiana jones laser disc? what is that a dvd or a soundtrack????

: : : : --Henry

: : : The laser discs were the first industry run at attempting to leave the video format for a disc type format, that eventually failed. The discs themselves were the size of 33 1/3 LP records, and were tremendously expensive. I currently have a brand new Pioneer laser disc player that was "willed" to me in storage here at the Institute, and have absolutely nothing to play on it, or have any use for it except maybe anchor material. From what I read in industry trade mags, the main problem the disc had was two fold....limited storage space ON the disc for information, and the industry inability to do any editing to the information once it was transferred TO the disc. A real no-no for industrial video. I do understand that the clarity is exceptional, though. Hope this helps. Regards. Michaelson

: : Though, I remember that the picture quality was really very good. Especially on PAL and an advanced TV! But the physical size was not too attractive and I think the disk had to be flipped or the movie was on two discs. From what I understand, the laserdisc should fare better than DVD in terms of longtime storage without degradation. It seems there is always a trade off! Fall Guy
: : PS: Better hold on to that laserdisc player; it could come in handy!
: : :
: : :

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: