Opening weekend memories.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cereal Killer from KSCYA010-0715.splitrock.net on June 13, 2000 at 10:33:33:

In Reply to: Happy 19th Raiders! posted by Jonesy on June 12, 2000 at 16:15:21:

I didn't see "Raiders" on opening day but I did see it that Saturday with my mom and my sister. We went to the afternoon show at Independence Center 2 theatres (not there anymore). I'd seen the commercials for it and had no real expectations. I honestly thought that Harrison Ford was the wrong choice for a swashbuckling action hero. I hadn't seen anything from his performance in "Star Wars" that told me he could play a rough tough thirties adventurer. In fact I was worried that the producers were gonna play the movie like some sort of slapstick comedy. Man was I off base. In my own defense, Harrison Ford wasn't a big star yet and even Spielberg wasn't really known outside of Hollywood (even with "Jaws" to his name).
By the end of the movie I was shaking with excitement and it was clear that my life had been altered by this incredible movie. I went out and bought the novelization (read it 10 times over the next year) and made it my personal quest to see the movie as many times over the summer as possible. By the time it left theatres I'd seen "Raiders" ten times then saw it a couple more times when it was rereleased the next year. All in all I've seen it probably 20-25 times on the big screen. That's more than I've seen any other movie except maybe "Gone With the Wind."
Will any other film come along that can replace "Raiders" place in my heart? Not bloody likely.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]