Re: Which Hat...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by IJFan from dresden.bmc.com on July 24, 1998 at 09:21:18:

In Reply to: Re: Which Hat... posted by Isaac on July 23, 1998 at 19:33:26:

Interesting commentary.

First on the jacket - it's close enough I've got no complaints. I wish it had nickel hardware, but I knew it wouldn't. The only kind of strange thing is that it seems to be proportioned differently. It's longer than the one used in Raiders. I'm thinking that because I asked for a satin lining, I may have ended up with a complete Crusade version - but the reality is I don't care. I'm not Indiana Jones. I'm not going to be filmed wearing this thing and have continuity editors tearing their hair out trying to get everything to look right...so it's close enough.

As for the hat. I find it more an interesting commentary on the direction society's moved than anything else, that it's so hard to get a reasonable version of that hat. Forty years ago, you could have walked into a habberdashery in any reasonably sized town in the country and walked out with a quality hat that looked for all the world like the one on Indy's head. Today, many big cities don't even have a quality hat shop. Kind of interesting, really. Anyway, I'm half inclined to go with the Gary White version for a number of reasons. One, I have a funny shaped head, and I think that since he custom molds each hat, I'm more likely to get one that fits. Two, I think it looks better than anything else I've seen, and given that the HJ hat (which seems to be losing some of it's lustre) is damned expensive in it's own right, I may as well pay a little more to get what I really want. The only problem I have is that I pretty thoroughly abuse my hats, and it does hurt a little to think about beating up on a
$400 hat. We'll see.

-IJFan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: