Re: Hey Dakota, a question bout that new fedora

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dakota Ellison from spider-ta045.proxy.aol.com on June 24, 2000 at 10:30:14:

In Reply to: Hey Dakota, a question bout that new fedora posted by Steve on June 23, 2000 at 22:54:51:

: You stated that you took an iron to the brim. Were you talking about the back part? It seems to be turned down too much for that "look". If I remember correctly, you referred Joe to the HJ pic at Indy Gear. Do you think Joe was just copying this particular fedora? I know when I first saw the pic of your hat, I immediately thought it looked really similiar to this HJ. Also, does the taller crown look accurate to you when compared to the Raiders fedora? I supposedly have one of these being made, and after seeing yours, I called Joe and changed the original specs that I gave him. I went with the 5 7/8 crown, and the 2 3/4 x 2 5/8 brim size. I am anxious to see this hat in hand. Regards, Steve

It still does look like that HJ. The side view is tilting a little towards the camera, so you can't see the downward pitch. It was a little too much like a cowboy style, so I ironed it flat and shaped it almost exactly the same but with a little less downward pitch and less up curve on the sides. I also added the the slight upward curve around the back. The crown is 5 1/4" at the side and 4 3/8" (already bashed) at the front. It would look more "Raiders" if I pinched the front all the way down to the ribbon, but I kind of like it pinched at the top, like the HJ pics. Like Joe's ad says this "bullitproof" is tough. I think with time and wear, the stiffness will relax. If Indiana had this hat when he swam to Jock's plane, it would not have collapsed around his head. On my big head I think the perportions are about right. Yes, I believe Joe was just tryin to get it like the HJ pics.
Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Ellison

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: