Who would search for El Dorado in the 1950's?!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CKolumb from AC8B6D88.ipt.aol.com on June 25, 2000 at 08:26:50:

In Reply to: Maybe they'll keep it low-key. posted by graml on June 25, 2000 at 08:05:17:

Searching just for "places" like El Dorado or Atlantis doesn't make sense in an Indy adventure, as Indy is meant to find "things" - objects he can actually take with him to possibly place in a museum. There would be no reason to go to El Dorado or Atlantis unless some important artifact is to be found there. I mean, finding a valley or an island is not really that thrilling, or is it? The computer game, "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis", was actually pretty suspenseful, humorous and epic in scope, but the whole "artifact" thing was missing and the story had a rather un-spiritual and alien touch which many fans couldn't really relate to. Setting up an adventure story in the 1950's is hard, because the magic World War II barrier which seems so important for historical adventure movies, is broken. We're talking "atomic age" now which means that the age of old industrial innocence is over and Concordes will soon replace Zeppelins. I'm pretty sure we'll see no nazis around and that some communists, may they be Russians or Chinese, would be the new baddies. Anyway -- who said it will really be the 50's? How does early 40's sound - what about Indy having an adventure DURING the war? Some of the Indy novels picked up that period, and as we all now, Steven Spielberg really favors the era and the war movie genre (anyone remember "Empire of the Sun" or "Saving Private Ryan")? I think the Japanese would make good enemies in an Indy WW2 adventure. Whereas a fitting artifact --- I can't think of one. :-)) The other possibility would be to focus on norse mythology and go to colder places like Iceland or the Antarctic, and having the nazis involved once again, maybe around the end of the war when the Germans tried to evacuate Nazi VIP's to secret remote locations (or so the legend goes). Let's hope that M. Night, or Lucas respectively, comes up with something great. And NO, I don't wanna see any aliens popping up and I hope they won't film that awful "Saucer Men" script, although the story somehow fits the 50's in an odd, sci-fi way.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]