Re: They need to stick with Biblical artifacts...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A.D. Elrod from cvg-nat254.clearchannel.com on June 26, 2000 at 17:21:08:

In Reply to: What is better, or bigger, than the Holy Grail? posted by California Mike on June 25, 2000 at 06:09:49:

I think they need to stick with Christianity when scripting Indy 4. the two previous movie that used Bible artifacts were a far cry betterr than the Temple of Doom.

While the Temple of Doom had some good action sequences toward the end (rope bridge, mine cart, etc), the overall plot was not nearly as well constructed as Raiders or the Last Crusade. First of all, I think they need to make Indy conciously choose to seek a particualr articfact (like Raiders). THe way he (literally) dropped out of the sky into the middle of a situation in ToD was a little weak.

Secondly, Americans could more easily relate to Radiers and LC because of thier familiarity with Christianity. ToD was based in a bizarre, unknown, Indian Cult, which made the "magic" of the religion more difficult to accept than the power of such artifacts as the Ark of the Covenant or the Holy Grail. That said, I think the Spear of Destiny or Noah's Ark (Raiders of the OTHER Lost Ark?) are good ideas. I realize that these have been used in Indy spin off stories (i.e. comics or novels), but the layman will not know that. I think either of these artifacts, or perhaps another obscure Biblical artifact, would be the best choice. They should not make the same mistake that they made in ToD (which is still a good movie, but not near the caliber of the other two).

Although, I think the quest for El Dorado could be an interesting storyline as well (though, again, the "magical" occurences would be less digestable). Fortune and Glory...

Ciao,
A.D. Elrod

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: