Re: Got my Petersbros Indy, and if it has a 5 7/8 crown, I'll eat it!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dakota Ellison from alcfpxy1.att.com on June 27, 2000 at 13:09:04:

In Reply to: Got my Petersbros Indy, and if it has a 5 7/8 crown, I'll eat it! posted by Steve on June 26, 2000 at 22:01:19:

: I received the fedora today and I was amazed and a bit disapointed at the same time. First off, this is really a fine fedora, and bullet proof is very descriptive. The dimensional cut brim is perfect, looks factory cut to my eye. The color while listed as mink, is not the same mink that Stetson and Miller(Biltmore) uses. It is a brown without the reddish tone usually seen in the mink color. I like this color better as it seems more accurate to me when compared with the Raiders fedora. As stated before, this hat comes with a 2 inch sweatband, just like my Gary White fedora. And the brim is stiff, just like a western style hat. When I first opened the box, I was dismayed to discover that the crown tapered up pretty drastically, like some of the TOD fedoras. It didn't look tall enough either. When I pulled out the tape measure, it measured 5 inches at the sides, and the front and back came in at 4 3/8. It had a fairly deep bash in the top and I could tell from this that the taper was induced by an over zealous bash. I got the steamer out and arrived at the open crown state, and modified the top to get 4 5/8 at the pinch and also the same at the back. I reshaped the crown to get the straight sides and was astounded to discover that this excercise had produced the first Raiders fedora I had ever seen outside of the movie. If this hat was 1/2 inch taller in the open crown state it would be perfect. Now I had ordered this hat in the 5 7/8 crown height, but it is only a true 5 1/2. Who else has ordered the taller crown and came up short? Am I the only one, and therefore a mistake was made on mine? Other than this , this hat is the Raiders version, no doubt. I can't explain what is different about the crown, but when placed up by my other fedoras, it is so obvious that it is different. If anyone is planning to order one of these hats, make it very clear to Joe that in the finished state, the sides of the crown has to be straight up with no taper. The crown height has to be at least a true 5 5/8 to 5 7/8, and the height to the front pinch needs to be at least 4 3/4. Also tell him to get rid of the downward curve on the back brim and bring it almost straight out. We fans will get him to create the perfect Raider fedora, ready to wear right out of the box. I do commend his effort in providing us with an excellent Raiders fedora. He almost has it near perfect. regards, Steve

I remeasured mine and its still 5 7/8" unbashed. I can force the front pinch upward to the height you suggest, and spread my thumb and little finger out inside the hat, forcing the bash up and the sides straight and as you say, there's the exact "Raiders" hat. For now I'm happy with it being a dead ringer to those HJ pics in IndyGear. Sort of "Raiders" with "Temple" nuances, but unmistakeably Indiana Jones.
Did you get the brim size you asked for? I wonder if it was your hat that Vtwin reported about seeing in the store? He sure wrote a good
report on that one.
Cheers!

Ellison

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: