Not quite correct.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on June 29, 2000 at 13:12:07:

In Reply to: Re: re: poster sized copies of fan art for sale? posted by sas c|:) on June 29, 2000 at 10:36:48:

It's true that anything you draw/create from conception is considered copywritten upon creation, but the image in this case are the images of several well known faces. Under copyright law, whether it's a photo or an artist rendering, unless you have the signed, written permission of the inviduals who are depicted in the work allowing the work to be used and offered for sale or profit, then it can NOT be sold or used for monetary gain of the creator of same original item. It is a written and court tested fact that each and every individual personally "owns" their own personal image. Any newspaper or other print creator must have a signed release form from anyone they photograph for a news story, unless it's an act of violence or war. I had to carry reams of these whenever I went in the field to videotape any street scenes in Florida and somebody wandered into my frame. (Can you tell we teach copyright/patent law in our classrooms here at the Institute? (grins)). Anyway, you're partly correct, but in this particular case, no, Adam is correct. Unless he has written permission of Ford, Allen, etc, to sell this, then he can not sell them without licensing or contractual agreement with the individuals. Regards. Michaelson

: Actually anything you have drawn has your own copyright only. It does not belong to Paramount, Lucasfilm, Mr. Lucas or anyone else. You need no permisson of any kind to make, sell or own such a picture. Only the logos and the name "Indiana Jones" are registered trademarks. If you use these as part of your picture this could be a problem.
: BTW: Other talented people do sell their art. For example. I would not miss the wonderful Indy illustration I bought from Aimee (http://www.geocities.com/indyadvntr).

: But the again it's your own choise.

: sas c|:)

: : Hey everyone...

: : A lot of people have already emailed me, asking if they could buy a copy of the RAIDERS artwork shown on Micah's website last night.

: : Truth is, Indiana Jones is a Lucasfilm and Paramount Pictures character, and it would be illegal for me to sell this item, even though the image is my own creation, without the proper permission from the company.

: : As I enjoy my freedom and would hate to upset Mr. Lucas and the other powers that be, I'm afraid that I am unable to sell this to anyone commercially.

: : The best thing I could do would be to email a high-resolution scan of the picture. I plan on doing this in a month or so when the painting is completed. You can then take the scan to any Kinko's (or other decent printing company) and have them print out a color copy at whatever size you fancy. That way, you can get the image for free, and I'm not stepping on any eggshells.

: : And please, let "orders" be upon private request (this means: DON'T ASK FOR A COPY VIA MICAH'S WEBPAGE, but through me personally).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]