TO ALL INDY FANS REGARDING THE RECENT INDY 4/M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by U call me Dr. Jones from spider-tj072.proxy.aol.com on July 06, 2000 at 04:08:41:

Hello Friends-

I am sure u were all excited just as well as I to hear that Shyamalan might pen the next Indy adventure. What got me excited most of all was the possible 2002 start date. However, three days after the article appeared in Variety, the website movie headlines posted the following news:

Lucasfilm Clarifies Indy 4 Writer Reports

You'll remember that last week Variety made a report that George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Harrison Ford were in talks with M. Night Shyamalan about writing the script for Indiana Jones 4. We called up Lucasfilm's Jeanne Cole to get the full story. Turns out that Variety's report was only partially correct.
Jeanne tells us that M. Night Shyamalan is only ONE of the several writers being considered for writing the Indy 4 script. There is currently no deal in place with Shymalan and the other writers are still being considered. When asked if Indiana Jones was a project actively being worked on, Jeanne confirmed it was and that it was not on the shelf. She also reaffirmed that Indy 4 is a project that Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford all enthusiastically want to do.

Even though the report got Indy fans hopes up, it's still good to know that excellent writers like Shyamalan are being considered. It bodes very well for Indy 4.

I then emailed one of the guys who runs this site because I didnt understand what they meant when they said the Variety article was only partially correct. Variety never said that M. Night was the only writer they were considering. So I wanted to find out about that and why they didnt ask other questions like ......is it true about the 2002 start date?.........Will the new writer be starting a whole new script or rewriting an existing one? Well here is my email I sent to them with their response:

Hi-

I have a few comments regarding your follow up to the MNight writing Indy 4. First of all Variety never confirmed that MNight was the SOLE writer on Indy 4. It said he was approached as I am sure other writers were as well. So Variety's article was TOTALLY correct. First of all, when u guys called Lucasiflm U should of asked them whoever is writing the script..........r they totally writing a new one from scratch or doing a total rewrite on a existing draft. Also, what u should of asked them is about the 2002 start date to see if that was totally correct. Also, u should of asked them when can we expect the annoucemnet for the new writer. I CAN'T BELIEVE u guys didnt ask the head of Lucasfilm these questions. By the way, how did u guys get the number to Lucasfilm? Why didnt nobody else? What makes u guys so special.? Would u mind giving me the number so I can get the information people REALLY want to know? Please get back to me. I don't want to be ignored. I want a response.

Ken C.

Ken C.;

You seem to be very confrontational about this!

First up, we do have the phone number of Lucasfilm's PR department. As you
may or may not know, we also happen to run the #1 Star Wars fan site on the
net, TheForce.Net (http://www.theforce.net). We've had frequent
conversations with LFL and their number is readily available. In fact, you
can find it in public record and on their press releases which are public
record. Go to www.networksolutions.com, do a whois search on
indianajones.com, and LFL's phone number will pop up.

Plus there's also the fact that we've been to Skywalker Ranch, met
personally with the head of marketing, and had lunch at the ranch house with
Jeanne Cole, the lady we happened to call for the bit of news. In case
there was any doubt, one of our former TheForce.Net co-webmasters was hired
away from us by LFL and now runs starwars.com as well as indianajones.com.

Next up, we couldn't ask them about a 2002 start date because they told us
they haven't even made any progress on the film yet. It's still up in the
air as to their schedules, therefore there's no start date. This was
mentioned in our post.

We couldn't ask them if someone was doing a rewrite or a new script becausde
they haven't even talked to any one person yet. As the post mentioned,
they're talking to several people. It's a little hard to say the state of
the script when it's this early.

Finally, if you look back at the original Variety article, there's
absolutely no mention that they are talking to MULTIPLE people. The article
made it sound as if they were only talking to Shyamalan and nobody else. It
even makes it sound like they're in the final stages of discussion.

http://www.variety.com/body.asp?HbkId=4620240&subcat=-1&ArticleId=1117782940

So please have faith in us! We're competent! We have good sources! Keep
checking back with us for Indy info!

Scott

So what do u guys and gals make of all of this. I really don't know what to believe. Do I believe Variety, a reputable Hollywood publication, or this website. Movieheadlines makes it sound like the total article was bullshit. Where did Variety get their info from? I feel like I am right back where I started. I was sooooo excited to read about the possible 2002 start date, but now I dont know what to believe. What r your thoughts? Please get back to me as soon as possible. Oh and by the way, u know when Ford does his press junketts for What Lies Beneathe he is just going to say the usual..............there is still no script yet. God forbid if Leno, Letterman, or Larry King were to ask him about the recent news with M. Night and the 2002 start date.

Your buddy,
Ken

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: