Re: Real life artefacts, relics and anecdotes from near my home town!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from mariner.org on July 06, 2000 at 12:25:00:

In Reply to: Real life artefacts, relics and anecdotes from near my home town! posted by Hannibal King on July 06, 2000 at 10:50:46:

I live on the Virginia coast, so we mostly have the old pirate's treasure type of legends. Supposedly, old Captain Blackbeard (who's a bit of a hero in the local town of Hampton; his dismembered head was displayed in the harbor back in 1718) buried some loot along the York River. Unfortunately, that's just a legend; Blackbeard wasn't stupid enough to bury money that he could easily spend! John Smith nearly got his head bashed in by Powhattan's men in the town of West Point, not far from my native Yorktown. And millions of early English settlements from the 1610s and 20s abound around here. While that may not satisfy Indy's taste for adventure, its certainly a gold mine to the local archaeologists around here. Not to mention the museums. Such as my beloved Mariners' Museum, where I'm supposed to be working, rather than surfing the Web. :) Since my boss is hanging around, I'll wrap it up here.
-graml
PS I can't resist a final postscript: There are so many archaeologically important sites around here that a lot of digs are actually having trouble finding your basic "pick and shovel" drones! Every college within fifty miles contributes eager students for these digs, and that STILL doesn't seem to be enough! Maybe they should enlist convicts...:)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]