Re: Herbert Johnson Hat

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Laurie Jensen from proxy2.frmt1.sfba.home.com on July 26, 1998 at 18:12:43:

In Reply to: Re: Herbert Johnson Hat posted by Greg on July 26, 1998 at 15:11:13:

: : I'm about to order a Herbert Johnson hat but first I need to get the ribbon. There are two places on the indy''s diggs page that sell petersham ribbon. Does anybody know which one is better and whether I should have Herbert Johnson put the ribbon on or have it put on locally? Any info would be appreciated.

: : Matt

: The ribbon from Hyman Hendler in NYC is probably the easiest to obtain but they'll only sell a minimum order of 10 yards. Catherine Delaney will sell you as much or as little as you want, but unless you are in the UK, it is difficult to get a hold of her first, secondly, you need to send away for a money order in British Sterling, which takes a while... Quality of ribbon? Both are nice for different reasons. I found Delaney's ribbon to be finer, but not as pliable and soft as the Hendler ribbon. Personal choice. The HJ hat is coming now with the Petersham on it, however, it is 1 1/4 inches, and from all of the photos I have seen, comparing them to my second hat which has this ribbon on it, the stuff on the movie hats was a bit wider-1 1/2 inches or 39mm. Again, personal choice...

: Greg

Hey guys, I just discovered three possible new sources of our Petersham ribbon. While doing a web search earlier in the week I came accross a message from one of the sewing magazine boards asking about places that sold Petersham ribbon (no color was specified). The respondent, citing the May issue of Threads magazine as a reference, listed these three places:

Power Sewing
San Francisco, CA
(415) 386-0440
(sorry don't have an address yet)

Judith M Design
L. Grance, Indiana
(219) 499-4407
(again no address yet)

California Millinery Supply Co.
721 S. Spring St.
Los Angeles, CA 90014
(213) 622-8746

I haven't had time to call these places and find out what they have, what it costs, etc., but you might want to check them out before you make a decision between Hendler and Catherine Delaney. Just ask them whether they carry a dark brown-almost black 39mm Petersham ribbon.

Hope this helps, and good hunting.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]