I know that, old buddy

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on July 06, 2000 at 17:43:55:

In Reply to: Worry not, it was in jest... posted by graml on July 06, 2000 at 14:04:16:

Never thought you mean't anything otherwise. I've never heard that term "teacup" before, but I did hear one archaeologist mention at a dig a couple of weeks ago about the "Club Med" branch of the profession. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

: I've been one of those lowly undergraduate level grunts you've mentioned. And now that I work in a museum, many of the professors and doctors I dug along side with are now my collegues and clients. So with me, the "pick and shovel" remark is just a little inside joke. They all call me a "teacup" historian, because I'll be spending my career in a nice air-conditioned library rather than out in the broiling hot sun. I sincerely hope that I didn't insult anyone here on the forum; I know from experience that archaeologists and curators sometimes have differences of opinions on this sort of subject...:)

: : Whoa there, graml. You're poking into a sore spot when you refer to field workers as "pick and shovel drones". According to the all printed and published academic works, an individual is considered a "professional" whenever they are members of, and pay dues to, a recognized professional organization that establishes and publishes a code of ethics that the member must sign and swear to uphold. A lot of those "p&S" folks that you're referring to do indeed hold professional status in man of those organizations. I know I stumbled into one of these debates once, and came out bleeding from the encounter (figurlatively speaking (grins)), as a lot of the folks who work at sites that have a string of academic letters behind their names and degrees to prove it actually hold no higher professional standing in their profession than the lowly undergraduate level grunt who works the wet screens. They do comand the higher standing IN the organization, and have better access to the opportunies that the profession offers, but they are equal in standing in the organization that they swear to support. Watch your step, old friend, you could be sticking your head into a hornets nest here. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]