Re: OK, here's the question...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Valdez from cx540447-b.cv1.sdca.home.com on July 10, 2000 at 10:44:03:

In Reply to: OK, here's the question... posted by Shishak on July 09, 2000 at 22:42:26:

: There is one question about the character of Indiana Jones that I don't know if anyone else has really pondered, but I think it's worth bringing up and discussing. Here it is:

: Is Indiana Jones a good man or a bad man?

: This question may seem somewhat blasphemous, but let's examine it. Indy is, of course, our hero, a man of vigor and intrepidness who can maneuver himself through just about any deadly situation and almost always achieve his goal. He is evidently a moral man who cares about humanity and does not use his knowledge and heroics just for his own benefit, unlike his rivals, such as Belloq and Donovan. His competitors all seem to be evil, and he often risks his life against them to rescue good people. He is also a mild-mannered college professor, so it's hard not to think of him as an all-around good guy.

: But on the other hand, there are some things that make Indiana Jones seem as if he were not much more moral than his competitors. First of all, he kills many people throughout the movies. Of course, he only kills villains. And more often then not, when he kills it's in self-defense or in defense of someone he cares about. But sometimes it seems like KILLING the person could be avoided. And there are times when he wants to kill somebody in cold blood, such as the scene in RAIDERS when he says to Belloq, "I oughta kill you right now." He later raises his gun and is about to do it, only to be stopped by the armed Arabs in the bar. And also, when he goes on his treasure hunts, it seems as if it's every man for himself, and Indy could care less about the lives of everyone else involved. Also, there's his womanizing ways. Unlike Bond, Indy's womanizing often gets him into trouble, such as with Marion and Elsa. It seems like sometimes Indy can be a real "conceited ape" with women!

: So does Indiana Jones represent "good," or is he sort of an outlaw that we just happen to root for, like Bonnie and Clyde or Butch and Sundance? It's just a thought I had that I thought I'd share and get other people's opinions on.

: Personally, I think Indy's mostly a good man. He cares for humanity and helps the world in it's fight against evil.

: Regards!

: Shishak

Indy is a good man and a perfectly rounded character in my eyes. As for the killing, it was self-defense. The thing with Belloq, Indy was upset about Marion (believing she was just blown to bits). See one thing you have to understand is that Indiana Jones was not made up to be the ultra-perfect being. Unlike Bond and some other heroes, INDY IS HUMAN!

Steven Spielberg said this in an interview. He didn't want Indy to be perfect with the perfect shiny white teeth and always knowing exactly what to say. Indy's got his own personality and flaws just like anybody. His relationships aren't perfect. Sometimes he's not so charming when he needs to be, and other times he's perfectly charming. Steven also said he didn't want Indy to go into this kind of action and come back with the same perfect white teeth and washed hands. No, no, no. Indy will always come back from his adventures with dirt under his finger nails, bruised up and wonderfully in pain.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]