Re: ART CONTEST and FAN ART requests

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on July 10, 2000 at 13:40:05:

In Reply to: ART CONTEST and FAN ART requests posted by Adam on July 06, 2000 at 15:59:20:

: Hi everyone,

: About the upcoming ART CONTEST, again let me wait until Micah's return before making anything definite. I hope, if it should go through, to have a deadline by the end of the summer (early September or so) so that people can have plenty of time to create new fan art.

: And now, again, in regards to the much requested fan art that was posted last week...

: There was a giant debate as to legality of my possibly selling artwork. As I had stated, I am NOT able to sell copies because the Indiana Jones characters -- be it a likeness or direct representation -- are the properties of Lucasfilm and Paramount Pictures.

: YES, it is true that one CAN sell original art inspired by a movie or person. It IS legal for me to sell a painted illustration, as it represents my own work.

: HOWEVER, it is ILLEGAL for me to sell COPIES (i.e.: prints) of this work for profit. Many artists can auction their original cinema art away to the highest bidder, but it would be illegal for me to sell copies made from the original painting without permission from the copyright holder(s). Dave Dorman's prints, for example, were made available through a special license with Lucasfilm.

: If you are really interested in receiving a good-quality copy, the best I can offer you is a high-quality scan sent to you personally and without charge via email. I'll have this available when I finish the work and have it photographed professionally.

Heck, Adam, why don't you set up a closed bid type auction and put your original up for Indyfans to bid on, with a reserve price of course? That way it's off the proverbial record, and is legal as well? I'm sure some of the folks here would really like to obtain some original works of yours. I know I wish I could, but for some reason the family seems to want me to plow more funds into grocery purchases. (grins) Just a thought. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]