Re: David Morgan handle measurement

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul from sl-montwat-1-0.sprintlink.net on July 11, 2000 at 10:04:35:

In Reply to: Re: David Morgan handle measurement posted by Apsilon on July 11, 2000 at 04:22:03:

: : The handle is an eight inch nail. However, Mr. Morgan plaits the whip until the single diamond braid is about seven inches from the very end of the handle (top of the knob), then he transitions into herringbone pattern that comprises the rest of the whip.

: : There is a 1 inch strip of lead wrapped around the handle for the knob foundation for weighting purposes.

: : Feel free to e-mail, as I have spent a few Saturdays with Mr. Morgan learning about whips.

: : Paul

: Thanks for the info. That must be a part of why it looks so short. Bullwhips aren't all that common here (compared to stock whips) so I've never seen one outside of photos. I'm thinknig about having a go at making one. The raw materials will cost under AU$100. I've noticed that all of the bullwhips sold here seem to have long handles compared to ones sold in the US. Of course that could just be an illusion due to the lack of reference for scale.

: Matt.

Well, good luck. There are two 4 plait bellies in it. Start with a 38" tapered piece of kipside or some other thin material. It should be able to wrap the nail once at the end. 4 plait over this and leave some hanging at the end. Do the same thing with another piece of kipside, this time about 65 inches in length. 4-plait over this and leave some hanging at the end. Finally, cut out your third bolster, which will have to be in two pieces and spliced before the end of the 2nd belly. Plait over this with 12 plait, drop two strands at the end of the 2nd belly. Also, taper the left over strands from your other bellies in a long taper. Measure your work often, and plait as tight as you can. Good luck. I am making another 10' Morgan copy, which comes pretty easy now. Don't give up. Several of the first whips I made looked like hell, but still worked. With these, you can abuse them to see what happens to the leather, while keeping your better whips in fine shape.

Paul

Feel free to e-mail me personally if you have more questions.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]