Re: Even if you don't believe in God...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Agnostic from dresden.bmc.com on July 27, 1998 at 13:00:24:

In Reply to: Even if you don't believe in God... posted by The Northlander on July 24, 1998 at 17:33:43:

Yes and no...

In Star Wars, the whole thing is very far removed from "reality". You know going in that you're going to a sci-fi film and you're going to need to let go of your hold on reality. So it's not such a big deal. The Indy films, on the other hand, chronicle the life and adventures of a man that grew up in the USA in the early 20th century. Just about all the contextual stuff holds water (historically speaking). So to then throw in the antics of an interventionist God causes me to come crashing out of my engrossment with the story. It's not in keeping with the rest of the film which generally sticks to a reality which, even if different from today's, is at least historically accurate and plausible.

: In the world of Indiana Jones, the Christian God is real. That's part of the setting of the film, and not silly at all in context. I suppose you watch Star Wars and say that the parts dealing with the Force (or spaceships, or talking robots, or aliens, or...) are silly and unbelievable? Buy into the story and setting the film presents to you and you will enjoy movies more.

: -Northy-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]