Indy's brim...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupF78.mpls.uswest.net on July 13, 2000 at 00:41:58:

I've bought 3 different fedoras hoping to find one that achieves "the look", and they've come very close. I first got the Stetson 005, which was good for a color match but the crown height was off and the ribbon was too thick. Then I got an Akubra Bushman. The crown height was perfect and I got it shaped exactly like the Raiders hat, but the color was totally wrong and I cut the brim down too short. The last hat I ordered was the Indiana Miller from Miller Hats. The color is great and the crown height is right on. I got it shaped like the Temple of Doom hat, but the Raiders look could be easily achieved. The only thing that's holding the hat back is its brim. I ordered it with a dimensional cut of 2.75" front/back and 2.5" on each side. Now maybe it's the "automic flange" they used to shape the brim, but it doesn't quite look good enough for my critical eye. So for the hell of it I looked at some Indy pictures and noticed that the front of his brim folds down(from a side angle) farther back on the hat than my fedoras did. Mine fold down almost exactly where the brim meets the crown, where his folded/bended down closer to where the bow on the ribbon starts. So when I folded my hats to match they started looking a lot more like Indy's. And by doing this I noticed that the dimensionally cut hat didn't react the same way, it actually made it look worse. So it made me wonder if Indy's hat was ever dimensionally cut in the first place.

Another thing I noticed came from seeing other fedora-type hats on TV. Some had the perfect Indy look to the brim. And those ones had the fold farther back on the hat as well. And they had kind of an upside down V shape goin' on from the side view. The back of the brim obviously slanted down and so did the front. They kinda met in the middle.

The ABSOLUTE closest brim to the Indy brim that I own is on and old and cheap JC Penney fedora I had as a kid. The brim is shaped more like an outback hat than a conventional fedora.

So I don't know what my message means, just thought I'd bring up some observations I made.

Austin....Danger Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]