Re: Young Indy is crap

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kent Allard from dial149.insolwwb.net on July 13, 2000 at 03:40:50:

In Reply to: Re: Young Indy is crap posted by Reggie on July 12, 2000 at 23:40:02:

: : Ok, I gave it a chance, but have to conclude Young Indy is crap.

: : I got Phantom Train with the movie boxset and it was poor. The acting is terrible, particularly anyone speaking with an English accent (that includes Paul Freeman. This confuses me as well) and Mac McDonald. The second half was terrible. The German could have disarmed Indy at any moment on the balloon.

: : I thought this may be a bad episode so I ordered Daredevils of the Desert. This was better, but still crap. Not only were there bad English accents, but over the top Australlian ones. The dialoge is laughable.

: : Like a fool I then ordered Trenches of Hell. Oh dear. I did this because I am interested in the first world war and war movies. I was hoping it would be a powerful, interesting film, but have never seen a bigger load of crap. The battle scenes were crap. I wasn't expecting Saving Private Ryan, but the people just fell over. The acting was bad again. The accents were bad again - particularly the English guy in the second prison and the Dutch (?) guys who thought Indy was a cowboy just because he was American. (Message to scriptwriter - people in Europe are not all morons).

: : The way it portrayed the war was pathetic. After a being in the trenches for about a day and a little battle, Indy and his friends are allowed to pop into a small French village for beer and tennis. (Make that prostitutes for Remy). When Indy gets to the German prison camp he finds people playing football in the sun and finds that the prisoners, one old guy in particular can insult and punch the German in charge with any sort of beatings or (what would have happened) torture or death. Not only that he is there for about an hour and then escapes through a tunnel dug by morons and not spotted by German morons. The whole episode made the war look like an adventure holiday.

: : Going to Young Indy overall it has to main problems (over than bad acting, scripting and directing). The first is the stupid inclusion of historical characters at any oportunity. The second and MAIN problem is Young Indy himself. I have nothing against Sean Patrick Flannery, but never watching can I believe he grows up to becomes the Indy of the movies. He's is so stupid and naive. Not to mention over the top nice and friendly. Indy from the movies was never stupid or naive like this kid. He also had a dark edge. River Phoenix's Indy was much better. He wasn't stupid or naive, and was believeable. The character of Young Indy is just not the same as the character in the films.

: : If you have read all of this expecting a point there isn't one. I just fancied a rant.

: : Rant, rant, rant...

: Well I think the acting was ok. It wasn't great like the original trilogy, but it got off the ground. The whole series seems like it was made by an independent film company, and you would see it on the Bravo channel. I used to try to watch them but I don't even try to anymore because there are so many of them that it is near imposible to figure out which came before what and how each episode fits into the big puzzle of the life of indy. What I find strange is that in the series, Indy and Henry seem to be close like normal fathers and sons, but when they are left alone together they turn all weird and don't talk and etc. But while with Anna and Miss Semore, they're fine. How indy ended up in WW1 before the US entered and under age I dont get. How could he go to Mexico, get caught in a revolution, drop out of school, and follow someone he barely knows and join the Belgium army! Come on! They need to show things like more of Utah and his first whip etc.

I agree on most accounts.. I also think the only reason I liked Daredevils is because CZJ was in it... but SPF isn't a bad actor... his script just really sucked. They gave him the part of a naive little boy, when actually indy always seemed to be more of a got getter and kickasser and maybe a little darker, because at one point in indy's life we realize indy turns "dark" because we see that in TOD.

Kent

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]