Re: I couldn't disagree more

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Afro Dogwhelk from webcacheH10a.cache.pol.co.uk on July 13, 2000 at 13:13:20:

In Reply to: I couldn't disagree more posted by mlgm on July 13, 2000 at 08:56:11:

Ok. I admit a lot of what I wrote is subjective, but I feel my comments on the reality of ww1 are sound. I don't know why you say I am getting my wars mixed up. Did they treat prisoners of war much better before this century? The old guy and the German officer seem to have a relationship where they are constantly trying to win one over on each other, like some bad sitcom. How can he punch the officer without any retaliation, and do it in front of the German's men?

As for the battles they were very tame. THe video recieved a 12 certificate in this country (England). Again, I didn't expect Saving Private Ryan style arms flying everywhere and legs being shot off but if you tone down the violence to this level it defeats the point of making a war movie. This was an adventure story set during ww1. You mentioned something about the old guys and your uncles "roaming the world and having fun". I don't know about your family but the old guys were fighting in ww1, which according to most reports was not fun.

And it is surprising that Indy knows so many famous people. You say he travels in a small world in small circles, yet the world is a rather large place and in a small amount of time he has been adventuring on his own, serving in the Belgian army, then as a spy and done loads of other stuff and still bumps into famous people every episode.

AS regards to the English accents and there being many different versions - I am fully aware of this, being as I am English myself. I still say they are terrible. One thing a lot of British people notice is that all English people in US films or television either talk with way over the top posh accents or over the top cockney accents. This is why a lot of US people get confused with films such as Lock, Stock. All the English accents in Young Indy are WAY over the top.

And Indy was a lot more intersting in the films and did have a dark side - Try to imagine Young Indy shooting that sword guy in Raiders.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]