Please explain somebody! Please!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mlgm from slhw0373.slh.wisc.edu on July 13, 2000 at 13:48:14:

I have the complaint again and again about how many famous people Young Indy meets. One, it doesn't seem that far fetched to me. Even know, but especially at the turn of the 20th Century, the world of the upper-middle class was very much a small, closed society. If you travelled, you travelled with people much like yourself, you had introductions from people much like yourself to people much like yourself.

Two, its the show's hook. Shows have hooks. If you'd just watch American cop shows, you'd assume every American cop is either constantly shooting criminals or being shot by them. Actually, most cops go through their career without ever drawing their guns, much less shooting anyone.

Third, meeting famous people is somehow less likely than finding the lost Arc, the Holy Grail, and Sankara (sp?) Stones? And whatever famous diamond that was supposed to be, and the ashes to whoever. And the Golden Idol at the beginning of Raiders. And a thugee cult? And I assume Indy is going to find Noah's Ark, or Atlantis, or who knows what in Indy IV. Anyone of these would be the crowning achievement of anyone's career, but all of them? In a few years time? All that's OK, but meeting Ernest Hemingway freaks you out? Listen, my father met Ernest Hemingway during WW II. (Dad was recon with Patton's army and before Allied command forced Patton to wait and let the Free French 'liberate' Paris, Patton was supposed to be first in. Dad was recon, so his unit would have been the first in. Hemingway (many famous journalists were with Dad's unit for a week, waiting for the word to go into Paris.)

Fabulous relics are the movies hook, which is OK by me; as are the famous people in YIJC. Why does the second bother so many, when the first bothers no one at all?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]