Yeah. I woke up as a cockroach this morning....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from sdn-ar-001vannewP113.dialsprint.net on July 13, 2000 at 19:55:58:

In Reply to: Hold up there a second posted by Michaelson on July 13, 2000 at 19:31:43:

Seriously, though, you've hit the nail on the head there, Michaelson. I was a deadbeat sophmore in high school when YIJC came out (oh no! free history lesson!), and I became fascinated by not just WWI history (I read THREE different biographies of the Red Baron that summer), but by history in general when I started watching Young Indy. So I became a history buff, then in college a history major, then I got an internship at a museum that's turned into a real job. And I have Young Indy and George Lucas to blame for it! And I blame my boss for the state of my personal finances...
-graml
PS I'm sure some of the old school types are a little wary of TV shows as history, but if it gets troublemakers like me into a library to learn more, I'm sure we all agree its worth it!

: You'll need to way back to the original concept of this series in the first place. Lucas developed this as a history lesson for kids, using the character of Indiana Jones as the morter to hold the series together. Who else but this kind of fictional character could possibly travel the world and have, no matter how unbelieveable it seemed, the opportunity to run across so many historical figures, or be involved in so many historical events? I personally thought today's program was a riot, Indy meeting Frantz Kafka, as until Kafka introduced himself in the story, the entire storyline made no sense to me. As soon as Kafka introduced himself, the whole thing made complete sense, as if you have ever had the chance to read or study any of Kafka's writings, you'd understand the the entire show was framed on his point of view. I don't want to get into a discussion of "Kafkian thought", but it is thought provoking and that's exactly what Lucas wanted the viewer to do....think about the content and if interested, go look it up and read MORE about it. I thought it was an excellent object lesson. The young Indy series was specifically made with that in mind. It was for teaching young viewers either by example, such as the Kafka story today, or by showing a person or event and it's historical place in history. The series wasn't developed to flesh out Indy's past history, he was only used as the vehicle for the story telling. Now, with that in mind, try and watch some of the series again. You may not find it as offensive this time. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]