This is gonna really piss some of you folks off, but here goes...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from 24.116.26.227 on July 18, 2000 at 00:13:23:

In Reply to: Bravo! posted by Don on July 17, 2000 at 09:13:37:

: Bravo Old Bean! I couldn't agree more! Ebay and the like traffic in some interesting cultural treasures of dubious origin. Here in Nebraska we had a problem a few years back with professional paleontological collecting teams stealing fossils from our national state parks. They were funded by some Japanese collectors and had hydraulic lifters capable of removing huge pieces of rock that contained large turtle fossils and the like. I have no beef with minimal surface collecting as long as records are kept. An arrowhead or a fossil here and there is all right. When it gets to pots and other artefacts, that is where it gets unacceptable. I sahre your passion for the past. I am trying to use my passion to convince the Rhodes Scholarship people to give me their award and let me study archaeology at Oxford. In a day and age when everyone is looking forward, a few need to look back.

: Regards,

: Don

Perhaps I am misunderstanding some of the comments made here, but I get the impression that some of you are against the act of collecting chert artifacts, such as arrow heads. Let me tell you a story. I grew up on a farm in Alabama, and our fields were covered with literally tons of arrow heads that surfaced when spring plowing was done. My ancestors had picked these things up for years, and we continued to do so as well. To this day there are still many more there, and they are being broken and crushed by the big tractors that cultivate this land. As a child, I collected these arrowheads, as many people in that part of the state. If these had not been picked up and saved, they would have been destroyed , as tons have been over the years. What would you have done? That these objects have monetary value to some folks, will insure their survival. I therefore, don't see anything wrong with it. regards, Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]