So this begs the question...does Peter, in fact, have the original patterns?(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-17.col.cableone.net on July 18, 2000 at 13:51:40:

In Reply to: Some thoughts about my LC Wested... posted by Patterson on July 18, 2000 at 12:27:10:

: Ok, I really need to get a life.

: I’ve been spending quite a bit of time lately going over the digitally remastered trilogy using some fun-to-play-with software here at work. It allows me to get some pretty incredible close-ups, do a lot of enhancement, and approximate measurements of digital pictures. As a result, I have some issues with my Wested’s. The easiest one to start with is the LC.

: It is, I believe, the most accurate reproduction Peter currently offers – I’ll pick on the Raiders and Temple of Doom jackets some other day when time permits. I really do love this jacket, but I've come up with a laundry list, albiet a short one, of inaccuracies. I believe, except for what I note below, that the Wested LC is a faithful reproduction. I would like Peter to address these – perhaps I’ll get the energy to put something together for him at a later date, though I guess he can read this as well.

: Anyway…

: Problems:

: Collar/Stormflap: The collar attachment and transition into the stormflap is incorrect. The problem is the use of a ¾ inch band around the collar on the outside. This prevents the collar from lying as flat as it should (although the LC collar should stick up more then the RotLA or ToD jackets). This band then caps-off the storm flap, where the storm flap ought to be free of any seams from top to bottom.

: Back: The entire bi-swing pleat assembly is about 1 inch too high on the back. This prevents the seam from the arm from cleanly meeting the horizontal seam across the back. If the upper triangular piece were in inch taller, the pleat would begin 1 inch lower. This would allow the pleat to open and close properly. The jacket in LC is properly constructed, while my Wested LC is not.

: Side straps: There has been some speculation as to the attachment of the straps to the back – whether they ought to be under the seam or attached on the outside. From what I’ve been able to see – and there were a lot of good shots to choose from – the straps are in fact attached under the seam, i.e. the Wested is correct on this point. The predistressed condition of the jacket as well as the apparent thickness of the leather, creates quite a bulge, though, that can make it appear that the straps are on the outside. Again, they are under the seam.

: The issue I DO have, however, is with the width of the straps. My Wested has ¾ inch straps, while they ought to be a little wider then an inch.

: Materials: The only other issue I have with the LC jacket is the thickness of the leather. The lambskin Wested currently offers is mighty thin. The cowhide better approximates the weight of the leather I see on screen.

: IMHO

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: