Re: Latest hat offerings

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-187.col.cableone.net on July 18, 2000 at 19:45:44:

In Reply to: Latest hat offerings posted by Falconau on July 18, 2000 at 18:30:01:

: I'm sorry if this is a question that has been thrashed out before, but can anybody tell me what's actually AVAILABLE in Indy fedoras these days. I'm in Australia, and trying to do my research over the internet as to the best repro fedora has proven somewhat frustrating. No retailer in OZ actually sells the models you guys have in the US, so I can't actually go and see the styles to check the pros and cons. Is the Stetson Indy or Temple still available, and are they good repros for the money. Where would be the best place to buy on the internet? Any other suggestions without going the megabucks HJ road?
: Thanks.

I do love these hat inquiries, being a hat lover myself. First of all, I would stay away from the two mentioned Stetsons. The crown height is too short. The most accurate hat I have owned is the custom Indy fedora offered by Peters Brothers at their website. Next in line are two hats tied in second place, the Akubra Campdraft, and the Miller Indy. The Campdraft I purchased online from Hatsdirect in Australia. The Campdraft makes a dandy LC fedora. The Miller looks good fashioned in the TOD style. Both of these hats require modification to achieve that "look". You must remember that this is only my personal opinion. I know there are others here who swear by the Stetson Nostalgia, but from my own experience, these hats come with a too short 5 inch crown. Look for a hat with at least a 5 1/2 inch open crown,and a brim that is large enough to cut dimensionally to the accepted specs. For the money, I would go with the Peters Bros Indy fedora, especially if you are looking for that mystical Raiders look. Regards, Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]