Re: Shirt

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn006-68.cybertours.com on July 30, 1998 at 08:14:35:

In Reply to: Re: Shirt posted by Laurie Jensen on July 29, 1998 at 15:33:23:

: : : Does anybody know if Andre Dometakis takes orders from regular people or does he work for movie hire only?

: : : Matt

: : : Matt,
: : People have inquired about this from time to time. It's not a pleasant tale to tell. Dometakis did take a few orders a while back but his turnaround time was not weeks but months for the custom-made shirts. Finally, a few people got fed up and canceled their orders. I don't think he really wants to get involved with the "I'll make Indy props" crowd. Definitely not as fan-friendly as Wested Leather Company. -MP

: I'd advise you to give up on Dometakis and get a shirt made by a local tailor or seamstress. The news about Dometakis is disappointing, but not very surprising. After all he works for the entertainment industry and they pay a hell of a lot better than a few dozen Indy fans. Plus he works alone so he's hardly equiped to handle so many outside orders. Greg seems to have had good luck with his new shirt, maybe you should e-mail him for details on materials, costs, design, etc.

: Hope this helps.

Hello all, I just changed my email address (you'll note the obvious selection that should be easy for y'all to remember. I don't have in my possession a copy of a shirt pattern, per se, but I do have a shirt made by a seamstress that did one hell of a job coming as close as possible using only pictures. I'm not sure she even has a full pattern, but worked a lot of the details (the pleats, pockets, etc.) from scratch. It is a "first draft" shirt made from less expensive muslin rather than the pima cotton of the original and she told me that if we found the proper color in pima cotton, she would make me a couple more of the shirts. She seemed as though she would be at least interested in making them for others, but I won't promise her services to anyone. I will ask her, once we get an exact copy made with all of the bugs worked out of the design, if she is willing to make more. It is a difficult shirt to make (the pleats take some time since they are top-stitched and they need to be straight. But to let you know how good she is, the shirt took her all of a day and a half to finish! That's a "difficult" shirt for her! Right now, I have some fabric samples of pima cotton and the cavalry twill wool for the pants, but money is tight for me right now so it's been back-burnered for a couple of weeks at least. I will keep you all informed...

Greg (formerly GSHAMB61@maine.maine.edu)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]