Agreed; look to Britain for Grail lore... (and I quote...)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Inbanana Jones from spider-ti083.proxy.aol.com on July 26, 2000 at 05:05:24:

In Reply to: Re: Questions about Grail in Last Crusade/Bible posted by Sean Dodge on July 26, 2000 at 01:30:24:

The Grail appears to grow out of the syncretion of Welsh and Celtic pagan folklore and Christian doctrine in the early Middle Ages. The Grail Romances of Chretien de Troyes and others supposedly have their root in non-Christian Grail works by Welsh bards such as Bleharis.
Following from my 1964 Penguin edition of "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight", translated by Brian Stone:
In the Grail romances, and as Gwalchmai in the Welsh Triads, Gawain is persistently represented as a healer well versed in herbal remedies. Miss Jessie Weston, in her "From Ritual to Romance", sees Gawain as the medicine man who, in the fertility ritual underlying the mystery of the Grail (the Church was opposed to the Grail stories), restores to life the Spirit of Vegetation."

As far as the image of the Roman soldier offering the "cheap wine" or vinegar in the sponge, I suggest this is a Christian metaphor slamming the dilute/false doctrines of the pagan world, the viciousness of the ignorant tools of the devil, yadda yadda.

I for one have always found the anthropological and historical approach to the study of religion fruitful for exploring topics not addresses in the typical canons, but which have become inculcated into our generalized picture of a faith nonetheless. This is not necessarily inconsistant with one's own beliefs, and it may offer insight into various historical dimensions of a faith (such as the Grail) not often obvious in more traditional venues. But, then again, I'm a scientist (cruches apple)...
Good luck in your quest for illumination.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]