From I am from, different stories about the same event are indeed contradictions!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-20.col.cableone.net on July 26, 2000 at 14:55:29:

In Reply to: Re: Sorry, you're at the wrong place posted by Dr.Brody on July 26, 2000 at 01:31:50:

: : But historians and Bible scholars could probably help you. Hey, the Bible also doesn't say anything about the Stations of the Cross or the Ascension of Mary. You should probably ask a priest or a theologian about these things. You are going to find contradictions in the Gospels, so don't get a headache trying to figure them out.

: : Peace be with you!

: : Shishak

:
: : Not contradictions, just four different points of view. In a crime scene each witness has a slightly different story because people see things differently. That's why we, on the forum, see Indy's outfit differently. Think about it! Dr.Brody

I have thought about it, and the fact remains that there are indeed contradictions in the New Testament. This is of course anathema to fundamentalist christians, because the Word by its nature cannot contain contradictions, afterall, numerous folks truly believe that each and every word is inspired and given to us by infallible messengers. Therefore contradictions are not allowed! It is also fascinating to me that few people really know the history of the compilation of the New Testament. This collection of books didn't decend from heaven. A group of men chose the books from among many that were in existence at that time, and in the process most of the books not chosen were lost, and some were found again with the discovery of the dead sea scrolls. I have often wondered if Peter, the rock, ever wrote his account of the story of Christ. He was afterall the founder of the church as we know it today. And something else. I often wonder if the other books that were not included, were along the same lines as the book of St. Thomas. If they were, can you imagine how much differently we would view Christianity today? Just some food for thought. Regards, Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]