Re: Thanks!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-60.col.cableone.net on August 02, 2000 at 17:30:35:

In Reply to: Thanks! posted by Patterson on August 02, 2000 at 16:05:42:

: : : I know there has been a lot posted, below, but could those buyers and anyone else with info, give me some guidance? What was the final cost - is it really going to be $175 + shipping? What should I communicate that you wished you had?

: : : Thanks!

: : : Patterson

:
: : Mine cost me 175.00 plus 10.00 shipping. I received it very quickly from the time it was shipped, not more than 2 days if I remember correctly. I will give you the specs that I want my next one to be, since it will take into account what I fixed on my first one. First of all, on my first one I specified a 5 7/8 crown(before bashing) shaped in the Raiders style with a 2 3/4 x 2 5/8 brim. The crown height was more like 5 5/8 as received, but the dimensionally cut brim was right on the mark, and the best I have ever seen. I swear it looks factory cut. I am glad now that the crown came in the height that it did because it looks right on my head. The only thing that was really wrong about this hat was the distance from the brim to the top of the hat along the front pinched crease. Joe jr. had this measurement at 4 3/8, and this was a bit short to my eye. There was a really deep bash in the top, so much in fact, that that it had the sides of the crown tapering in way too much. I got out the steamer and made this front crease 4 3/4, and reshaped the top crease to pull the sides of the crown out to be parallel. This solved the problem. I had given Joe all the specs, but left this one out. Be sure to give him every spec that you want on your hat. There's only one other thing that I will also add on my next hat. He used a 2 inch leather sweat band inside, and I like this, but I don't like the tan color. See if he offers a dark brown band and let us know. Get ready for a really stiff hat, suitable to be worn in "hard hat areas". Personally I like this stiffness, because it really retains its shape. The liner was available in a deep red or black. I got the red, and it looks good, but would prefer the white as the movie hats had this color. I don't know if he offers the white, let us know if he does. There is one thing about these fedoras that is totally different from the other fedoras that I own. The crown on this fedora is more compact from side to side viewing it from the front or back. On my head this makes this hat look like the hats used in the films where all my other ones seem to be too big in this regard. To really get this hat right for your head, check out his info on custom hats at his site because I believe he likes to know the shape of your head, but I don't remember if he wants pics or what. I discovered this after I ordered mine. Hope all this makes sense, because I am in a bit of a hurry. If yours turns out as well as mine, you will be very pleased. I will own nothing but these fedoras from here on out. Regards, Steve

: High praise indeed! Yes, I am very impressed by the pic's I see on the site. How about the color - is it dark enough? How did he do on the bow?

: I will be sure to post a full review. I've never been much of a hat buff - not until the Akubra bug bit me. Sounds like this could easily be THE one, though!

: Regards,

: Patterson

The mink color is the one that I ordered, but it isn't the same mink that Stetson or Miller offers. This mink has less red in it, and is dead on in my opinion. Not too dark, and not too light. The ribbon is the proper size and tacked on with thread. This hat screams quality. In reference to Dakota's remark concerning this fedora being from cowboy hat stock, I don't know. I think Joe uses a lot of stiffener as he does with his cowboy hats, but I am not sure if the blocks are the same. Regards, Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]