The Great Jacket Debate (Att. Patterson)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean from tnt01-52-234.barrie.bconnex.net on August 03, 2000 at 06:56:03:

Hi:

First off, I should catergorically state that I am a 'Raiders' Wested owner of close to 2 years and I am overly satisfied with both the quality and authenticity of my jacket.

Now, on to business. Is it not unreasonable to assume that since MANY jackets were manufactured for 'Raiders' that there will be slight variances in them? When the movie was shot I guarantee the filmakers never thought that their costumes would be looked at with such scrutiny. Now, this one's for you Patterson; do you have an original copy of "Great Movie Stunts...Raiders?" If so take a look, which I'm sure you have already, at the stunt man on the front cover in the right panel. Does this not look like a different jacket from the one that Ford is wearing? The colour looks different (It could be the arc (Ark ? :) lighting) as does his pants and shirt. Shit, the hat looks different. I assume this is a stunt man and not some guy dressed up like Indy hanging out on the set. Something tells me they'd of got rid of that guy.

As for the authenticity of the Wested. The back straps are clearly shown to be sewn on the outside back panel on Indy's movie version. Did I not hear that Wested puts them on the inside now because it was more functional for every day use? I think I heard that there was a potential for ripping with the straps sewn to the outside. Well, since the movie jacket wasn't something that was to be worn every day for eternity I think I'd sacrifice a little authenticity for a more durable design when I pay close to $400 for a jacket. Maby I'm not anal enough, but I'm sure as hell satisfied that the Wested Raiders is Indy's jacket. Of course things will change over the years. Look at the boots - the colour is different but the design is the same, so it's as good as it gets unless you have a time machine. Same goes for the jacket. Unless there's some huge revelation that Bottwright (sp? is a fraud I'd suggest we can assume that Wested is the original manufacturer of at least SOME of the jackets...man, this costume hobby is crazy...At any rate keep up the good detective work.
Cheers,
Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: