THe easiest way is to ask Mr. Botwright through email. (NM)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kent Allard from JOBOB104-40.splitrock.net on August 06, 2000 at 19:04:43:

In Reply to: Still not convinced? Just click on my name within this post and you will see posted by Steve on August 06, 2000 at 18:09:53:

: : : : : 1.Patterson research states that Coopers were in this from the begining and then says they aquired the licence FOLLOWING the popularity of the raiders film. That is not the begining. The begining was when the jackets were made for the film, before it was made and released and before its success. Coopers came in as the merchandizing Company after the event and had nothing to do with film production.
: : : : : 2.I have always stated that I have the patterns and made the original Raiders jacket I also persoanlly fitted the Jacket on Mr Harrison Ford at the costumiers Bermans & Nathan. Copies of my jacket never started appearing until 12 months later.
: : : : : 3.I apreciate the dedication of the Indy enthusiasts and the need to get it right and to that you need an explanation.
: : : : : 4.As a costume supplier to the film and TV industry I had not been involved in selling direct. When about 5 years ago I was approached by enthusiasts to remake the original jacket I had no idea of its impact.
: : : : : 5.The fact is and that we remade the jacket based on the original patterns and specification from some 10 years or more before and of course there were bound to be some slight detail differeces, even though I had the same staff making it.
: : : : : 6.It also appears that if I dont immediatly reply to someones email I am criticised as not wanting to know. Not true.
: : : : : If I have some detail incorrect please inform me and if correct I will make the neccessray amendments.
: : : : : I remain true to the cause
: : : : : Cheers
: : : : : Peter Botwright

: : : That's Peter. It's coming from Wested.com. As I have said before, I have had a Leather Concessionaires jacket (now called "Wested Leather" for almost 10 years now). I spent several months researching every source I could find and found no evidence to dispute that Peter was the maker of the original jacket and all subsequent film jackets, unlike the pants and shirt which were made alternatively, by both Western Costume Company in California and Bermans and Nathen in London. There was, and still is, only one company that made the original jacket, and that is now called Wested. Cooper licensed an "official replica" when LC came out but before that, there was no other replica out there. Keep in mind, folks, that these jackets are using lambskin. Is it from the same lamb(s)? Of course not. So there will be some variations. Is it from the EXACT pattern they first used on Raiders? No. He's already said that that got lost in the shuffle, which is why they had to make a new jacket, from Peter's memory and checking out the old jackets, for Temple, and decided to alter it significantly for LC. However, if you want something that is as close to the original jackets as possible, there is no other duplicate in either quality or price that can measure up to Peter's jackets. I also think that we need to thank Peter for being so considerate to fans. He doesn't really need our business, and like Andre Dometakis, who tailored the first shirt, might just as well tell us to stuff it and go find someone else to make the jacket. I for one am grateful that he has decided to sell to individual collectors like us. In addition, try buying the Cooper jacket custom fit for you and see what Cooper has to say. Sorry to rant, but I think that this forum, and other fan resources had a lot to do with convincing Mr. Botwright that this would be a viable use of his time, and it was nearly directly responsible in convincing Mr. Howard to make the pants, shirts, and other gear for us, and while I haven't been on the forum in a while, I am hoping that the forum isn't responsible, through careless third-degree grilling of these nice gentlemen, for ending this win-win relationship with them.

: : : indy@cybertours.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]