Re: Custom made German mercedes benz truck from raiders (1:6th scale.)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Katanga from dumpster-2.uniface.compuware.com on August 07, 2000 at 13:08:56:

In Reply to: Custom made German mercedes benz truck from raiders (1:6th scale.) posted by Indiana Shorty on August 07, 2000 at 12:29:52:

Shorty

This may not help much but I made a 1:32 scale version of the truck using two plastic kits. I used the chassis of a "Deuce and a half" (2 and a half ton American truck of the WWII period) truck with the cab and rear body from a mercedes benz WWII era truck. The only real parts of the merc cab I used were the bonnet (hood), mudguards (fenders) and doors, the rest I scratch built using plasticard. For the rear body section I used the wooden boarding and canvas cover that came with the merc kit but raised the height of the canvas using plasticard.

The toughest part was bending brass wire to make the roof-rack on the cab. Tamiya do a great merc motor-cyle and side car combo in the same scale so I "diorahma-ed" them together into a desert chase scene.

Looking at stills from the movie I would guess that they used a GM deuce and a half as the basis for the stunt vehicle. The cab seems to be an amalgamation of thirties style german trucks (the merc badge gag
wouldn't have worked with an Opel!). As a footnote I during my research I read that at the time Germany invaded Poland only 25% of the german armed forces were mechanised (i.e. had motorised transport), the rest were mounted, but by the battle of Stalingrad they'd eaten all of the horses!! :O)

I also scratch built a packing case for the ark and stencilled the side with black felt-tip marker. Tamiya do Afrika Corps sets of german troops in the same scale, they're pretty easy to arrange into suitable "clinging on for dear life" type poses if you hack their limbs about.

there are some good pics in the story booklet that accompanied the casette tape of the raiders story if you can get hold of a copy. Try you local library for period pictures of german troops. Also check out the Italian invasion of Abyssinian in the late thirties as there are several good pictures of dusty period trucks in desert conditions (lots of their kit was supplied by Adolf).

Grandparents are also a good source of info, one of my dads friends drove a half-track into france just after d-day, he has some great pics of deuce and halfs in action.

hope this helps,

Ben

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: