Hummm

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on August 07, 2000 at 13:26:35:

In Reply to: I can't believe it! You jacket lovers have sucked me in to your wicked, evil game! Um, and now I need your help... posted by Aaron on August 07, 2000 at 02:31:59:

: THOSE SHORT ON TIME CAN SKIP TO THE NEXT ALL-CAPS SENTENCE--THIS NEXT PART IS JUST MINDLESS BABBLE ANYWAY. THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY OF THIS, SKIP TO THE LAST ALL-CAPS SENTENCE.

: I must admit, I've always thought of "true Indy gear collectors" as a bit too anal and obsessed to be truly human. I found I could only stomach the great debate over fedoras from a very far distance on this forum. Talk of d-rings and outside flaps has always encouraged me to speed up my scrolling just that much more. Okay, I'll come out and say it: I've laughed out loud at some of the retentive absurdity of these debates.

: But that was the old me.

: Forgive me, oh pioneers of this art, I have only now discovered just how much fun being "anal retentive" can be. Well, okay, I still don't care that much about d-rings. But now that I have a bit of cash and a sudden unexplained interest in Indy's jacket,

: I'VE CONVINCED MYSELF TO MAKE THE WESTED JUMP.

: Hours of web-cruising have soaked my brain with [what I believe to be] all the information I need--with many thanks to this forum and the folks at indygear.com, and of course Wested's site. I think I have all my specs determined, but I need your help, collectors.

: If I were to order a jacket, I would send a letter similar to the following. If you would be so kind, please tell me what information I have neglected to exclude. Basically, what else do I need to be completely and utterly thorough? Okay, here goes [any portions appearing in brackets "[]" are just my questions and comments to you guys]:

: ------
: Hello and cheers...[the other basic pleasentries will be omitted from this particular "mock message"]

: I would like to order a Raiders style jacket. I want a new lambskin finish jacket with a cotton lining. If possible, I would prefer it if you could substitute the inside cotton facing of the collar with leather, as well as the inside of the zipper. [Is this extra charge?]

: My measurements are:

: Sleeve: 27"
: Shoulder-to-Shoulder: 16"
: Chest: 37"
: Height: 72 1/2"

: Thanks much, I've included payment, yada yada yada, so on and so forth, bla bla bla. [This part may change a bit in the final version :) ]

: Aaron J. Radatz
: [email address]
: [home phone]
: [full shipping address]
: ------

: Well, that's it. I know that jacket size should be included, but I currently do not know mine. Is it worth it to take an extra trip into town and try on a few to determine my basic size?

: Also, I did not specify regular or long because I do not know what looks best on a gentleman of my height [as if anything looks good on me]. But, as you can see, I include my height so that the experienced boys at Wested could determine that for me--unless somebody here knows?

: Also, my shoulder-to-shoulder measurement was taken straight across from the top of each shoulder [at it's "peak"]. Should this instead be taken from the outside-most portions of the shoulder? And, as I mentioned it was taken STRAIGHT across. I was unsure if instead I should let the tape follow the slight slope of my shoulder blades [resulting in about an inch longer measurement].

: My sleeve measurement was taken from the outside/top of my shoulder down to my first thumb knuckle [the one that meets the base of my hand].

: The measurements are all pretty exact, and I'm not looking for another layer of skin in this jacket--I want it to be a close fit but certainly loose enough to provide for a full range of movement. Do I exaggerate my measurements, will they do that anyway, or should I just say "I want a close, but still relaxed fit," or something to that effect?

: As I asked in the message, does a leather inside collar and zipper facing [as opposed to cotton] cost any extra?

: Well, you've just suffered a long-winded post [no matter how little of it you read] that asks--no, whines--for help, and offers no rewards [other than many, many thanks] to those who reply to it. Feel cheated? I don't blame you. But if you're kindly, helpful, and well, just plain godly enough to post a helpful reply, I thank you in advance [more will follow].

: Aaron

: HERE IS THAT LAST ALL-CAPS SENTENCE. IF YOU SKIPPED HERE FROM THE BEGINNING, IT MEANS YOU SAVED YOURSELF A LOT OF UNNECESSARY PAIN. GOOD WORK.

With a opening title like that one, I'm not sure I should respond to this or not, but the questions seem sincere enough, so I'll respond. I personally believe I'd add just a little more to the shoulder width, as depending on where you live, you may want to extend the wearing time of this jacket calendar wise by putting on a sweater underneath the jacket as the temperatures start to drop. The lambskin is a great item from aroun 40 degrees F up to around 70 F in my experience, but with an added layer underneath, it can be worn in much colder clims. I know, I've done it. I would suggest you go to just at the curve of th shoulder so the jacket doesn't bag when worn with just a shirt, but allows a little breathing room when you layer heavier clothing underneath. If you have no plans to wear anything heavier, then your measurements are right on. I'm 73 1/2 inches tall, and a regular is the right length on me. The Raiders version stops just at the mid point of the back pocket, where the LC version hangs about an inch longer. I personally like the shorter length, as it makes getting in and out of a car a lot easier. From what I've read from Patterson, the extra facings are no extra charge, unless Peter has changed that policy. I haven't heard from him for while, so I really don't know what, if any, changes he has made to ordering policies. I'd have to assume it's still business as usual. I'd still suggest you go to a good men's shop and have yourself measured for a suit coat to get the feel for the right sizing, then try on some coats that they recommend. Depending on your weight, which you better give some thought to, either a 42 or a 44 regular will probably fill the bill for your height. There's a little more food for thought for you. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]