Re: Hold up there, partner!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rik Duel from slbri5p24.ozemail.com.au on August 07, 2000 at 18:05:11:

In Reply to: Hold up there, partner! posted by Michaelson on August 07, 2000 at 15:36:47:

Didn't mean to offend, Michaelson. I just knew from previous discussion of the topic that you were fond of them, and to each their own. Me? I kind of find them hard to watch on any level.

: : Yeah, I've got to agree with you about the Allan Quatermain films from the eighties, although I know that some forum regulars, like Michaelson, seem to have a soft spot for them.

: : However, I've been reading a few of the Rider Haggard novels, and I've got to say that, done right, this could be a seriously cool franchise. There are a few moments where today's climate of political correctness would mean an overhaul of the way some of the characters interact - white british explorers with teams of black african 'porters' who are continually treated like beasts of burden wouldn't sit too well with a modern audience I'd say - but by and large, they could be lots of fun.

: Yep, and old Michaelson has been accused of having a soft spot in his head as well. (grins) I'm sorry, but you're right in saying that I do indeed have a soft spot for these two movies, as they were NEVER intended to replace or even try to achieve the level that Raiders et. al. went for, and stated that publically from the get go. I took my daughters to these films when they first came out, and they were just plain fun, bubble gum for the mind kinds of entertainment, and that's EXACTLY what the producers were wanted to create. I believe they hit the target dead center. To try and compare them to the higher level of adventure films is really a waste of time, as they were never intended to be compared with the likes of Indiana Jones in terms of quality. They blatently stated they wanted to ride on the coat tails of the popularity of Indy, and just did the two films for fun summer movie releases. Like I said, I have fond memories of those two movies. Yep, old Michaelson does indeed have a couple of soft spots. Thankfully, his fedora covers most of one. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]