And I will "second" that(nm)Fedora aka Steve

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from 24.116.26.216 on August 08, 2000 at 12:22:21:

In Reply to: The "Patterson" situation posted by Michaelson on August 08, 2000 at 12:15:05:

: I just walked in the door today and read all the postings that lead to our friend Patterson reaching his decision to leave the hobby. I, for one, am ashamed of many of my fellow fans who frequent this forum. Folks, this is a forum, an outlet to discuss our hobby, regardless of how deep we want to delve into it, or how little we want to skim the surface. We're all the same, equal in every way, in terms of our discussions of Indiana Jones. Like all large families we have our bickering, but like all GREAT families, we settle our differences or just agree to disagree and move onto other things. To have one our own be forced to decide to completely leave the forum, and worse yet, the entire hobby because of an irresponsible act of an individual who disagrees with his observations is totally unacceptable, as well as to face actual open attacks from his fellow fans because he states an opinion is also unacceptable. How quickly everyone has forgotten Patterson's efforts to create an outlet for another Indy fedora in the acquisition and creation of one out of the Akubra hats offered by Hats Direct and David Morgan. It was one of the first fedoras we could get hold of that was affordable, was the right crown height, and could be dimensionally cut for the correct brim width. Patterson did this for us folks on his own time and out of his own pocket. He shared his passion with us on the development of the jacket, which I have personally fielded dozens of emails from folks HERE for YEARS asking the very same questions about the apparent differences from shot to shot in the movie, and as many offline questions as well. Check back through the vaults of Indyfan, and you'll find string after string of this debate that went absolutely no where. Patterson took the bull by the horns and on his own time, and once again out of his own pocket, got answers. In the long run, once all the smoke clears, it will be us fans that will end up obtaining a much more correct version of the jacket, as from the email from Peter, he is interested in solving this riddle. 19 years have passed, and many other projects have filled Peter's calendar, so you know those small details are lost in the shuffle. No efforts are being made to "drive" Peter anywhere. My Lord, Peter has been our biggest supporter for years, and Patterson's last thought has been to do that. As a fan, he pursued those details that us, the fans, have asked each other about for years, but have never had the nerve to directly ask Peter about. I include myself in that herd, I'll admit, and I salute Patterson for his gutsy approach.

: I am sorry to see Patterson driven away from our group, and all from an uncaring minority that to date I have been very proud to be associated with. If it is going to become a trend to use electronic terrorist tactics to attack individuals we don't particularily agree with, well, maybe we all need to pull up stakes and go back to our wandering in the dark and pursue our hobby in our own way. Apparently the exchange of information has become pass practice. I'm not painting all the fans with the same brush, as I read the heart felt statements in support of Patterson, but I have also read what Patterson has experienced off line, and it's to those individuals that this posting is addressed to.

: Like I said, at this moment I'm ashamed of us all, that we have allowed this to occur.

: To Patterson, I hope you'll reconsider, but if you don't, I completely understand, and you have my deepest respect, my thanks for all your past efforts on our behalf, and my Highest Regards.

: Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]