The Raiders Jacket, Patterson, and the Quest for authenticity

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian K. from kbowen.xyplex.com on August 08, 2000 at 17:29:05:

In Reply to: Hey Patterson - Don't leave! Read this! posted by Richiana on August 08, 2000 at 15:00:54:

Hi All

I know I haven't posted in a long time but I have been watching the board, and well, I must say that this is really disturbing to me.

I must admit I'm mystified. Patterson is providing a service to all of us as well. Regardless of how Mr. Botwright conducts his business or whether he decides to continue offering this jacket I find his research invaluable.

Why, you ask? Put simply this is not a quest to force Wested's hand into producing a more authentic jacket, but a service provided by Patterson for those who really care. A majority of those who call or write to Peter want a Raiders style jacket and then wait the 2 or 3 months to get it, not really caring if the bi-swing a 1/2" too short or something like that.
For these people, what Peter provides is a great jacket that to them, looks just fine. For those who do care, Don't you find this invaluable that such a list as Patterson's EXISTS?!?! So that, if you choose, you could request all/some/none of these variations?

I certainly would. Add to this the time and energy he has poured into this...the countless hours squinting at still frames from the movies, checking the original production jacket this weekend. He has spent more time on this than 1/2 the people out there put into their jobs. I for one find this bashing of Patterson the ultimate in rudeness. His insights were
invaluable to me to get the proper fit, finish, and extra touches so that I would be as happy as possible with my jacket. I would never have known to request leather facings inside the jacket zipper, or a zipper on the inner pocket, but these types of things make the jacket ten times more enjoyable to me.

Patterson, if you're listening I have to give you a hearty pat on the back and a job well done. It's unfortunate that everyone's forgotten that this is a hobby, and like any hobby it's supposed to be fun.

If Peter was offended by any comments/suggestions you made about the jacket, I still see no reason why it should affect his production of the jackets in any way. Worse case scenario, he ignores Patterson (and loses one of his best customers), best case we all get more authentic jackets in the future. I don't see the downside here for anyone to be upset with him.

I have never seen a post ANYWHERE where anyone told Peter to change the jacket...either by Patterson or anyone else.

Relax, chill out, Wested's not going anywhere, the jacket's not going anywhere and these attacks MUST stop, otherwise this ceases to be a hobby, in which case there's no reason for any of us to be here

Thanks for letting me vent,
Brian K.
: I know I'm pretty new to this whole thing, but I also know that the work you've done helping people to find the things they want has been incredible - I know I kinda slagged the jacket thing off a bit, but who's to say anyone is wrong?

: Patterson - If it wasn't for you and the guys at Indygear - I wouldn't be interested in getting the Jacket, Fedora or the rest of it, and I'm sure it's the same for a lot of other fans there. The guy who tracked you down at work...well, if he's got any of the sense that he was born with - he should know that we've all got the right to freedom of speach.

: Please don't let that one stupid individual stop you from enjoying what you do best, collecting the information! And as for all the other imature ppl out there - rise above them, there are a few of us out here that need ppl like you.

: FOR ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT PATTERSON TO LEAVE - REPLY TO THIS, LETS SHOW THE MAN SOME REAL APPRECIATION!!!!!!

: Regards - Rich (The Guy from IndyWeb)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]