Better felt...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.91 on August 11, 2000 at 11:01:49:

In Reply to: Re: Really? Gee, still confused posted by West on August 10, 2000 at 22:05:47:

My understanding felt is by no means comprehensive, but this is my understanding of the mink, beaver, and rabbit characteristics. Mink and beaver are used extensively in the US, generally in varying ratios with rabbit. The higher the ratio of the beaver and mink component, the more expensive the hat. Outside the US, beaver and mink is much more rarely used. Generally this is for two reasons, the first of which is the endangered status of the beaver. You cannot buy a beaver hat in the UK - it's apparently illegal to make one from beaver. Second, while beaver and mnk make a very nice looking felt which accepts dyes evenly quite easily, rabbit is much more durable and lees prone to shrinkage. A good "working-out-in-the-dust-and-dirt-and-getting-sweaty" hat tends to be made from rabbit. Just look at the Akubras.

I've heard many of the same things about HJ which have been recounted here. I've never been up to spending that kind of money on a hat - being a jacket junkie I'd be more likely to blow $300 on that. Again, many suppliers were chosen because of location. If the films had been produced stateside, we'd be talking about a lot of different companies. Also, the exact items really only needed to have a certain screen appearance, and durability would not have been a show-stopper. I imagine they threw away quite a few HJ fedoras on location.

But I'm rambling. From everything I've heard, the Peter Bros hats are built to last, much like the Akubras.

IMHO

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: