You're really asking two separate questions

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gregg from unknown-46-4.chiron.com on August 11, 2000 at 13:59:32:

In Reply to: Re: Really? Gee, still confused posted by West on August 10, 2000 at 22:05:47:

West,
Sounds like you're really asking "which is the best hat FOR ME?" In that case you're on your own. You have all the information you need about the look and physical makeup of the hats-for-grabs. What you have to determine now are your own needs. Swayles generally deals with financially comfortable consumers so he can take the stance of "out with the old....," however, it's still a quality rabbit fur hat (see my nearby post re: ribbon). I do not have the Peters Bros hat, but I'm a little weary about the use of sizing. His heavy use of stiffener makes me anxious about what it could be masking. Fedoras shouldn't NEED it, yet he's doing it for a reason. Maybe he's just used to traditional stiff cowboy hats, but that still says something. RE: add'l services, HJ told me he would reblock and spiff it up if needed, anytime I stopped in. Unfortunately, there's too much land and sea between me and the shop, but the offer was there. Turn around for the order was comparable. 10 days to go from "I'd like a....." to "Ooooh, just what I wanted." You have a few questions to wrestle with: 1)Indy authenticity; 2)Indy-looking, but cheaper; 3)Indy-inspired DIY. The fedora as YOU see it; 4)Indy-looking fedora that looks good on yoursef. I think #1 & #3 go hand in hand, but #4 wins out. Owning a few different fedoras and trying on A LOT, I've learned what will look good on me and what won't. I hope that you are satisfied with your final decision and enjoy the look and feel of your hat.
Gregg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]