I think the hefty price of the HJ is due to the type of shop they operate, something about them selling to royalty(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-195.col.cableone.net on August 12, 2000 at 12:01:20:

In Reply to: You misunderstood part of my questioning........ posted by Dakota Ellison on August 12, 2000 at 09:37:44:

: : From what I know, the Peters bro doesn't use the Borsalino stock for the Indy custom, but rather some raw material from a felt dealer which is also used to make cowboy hats. It has some Beaver which is blended with rabbit and used a lot in western hats from Peters bros cause it's durable. According to what I found the higher the beaver the better the quality the felt is. (Though I also found rabbit is a good felt, very durable).
: : As for the HJ, Swayles told me that it's all rabbit. He said that even 23 years ago when he started making hats it was rare for him to find a beaver/rabbit blend in England and not he doesn't see it at all. Though I am curious, if HJ does get their felt from Italy then why isn't there beaver in it? Is beaver endangered in Italy too? If I remember right lots of beaver from America is shipped to Italy just for felts. Well just some thoughts to wonder about. Hope this answers some of your questions, it did some of mine.

: : "What are you sitting around for? We have work to do!"
: : West

:
: I know the Borsalinos aren't used to make the Indy Custom, but if Hj just uses rabbit, why the hefty price? Therefore, if Michaelson is right, the Borsalino must also be rabbit. Akubra hats are rabbit too, and come clear from Australia, but the price is much more attractive. Of course, they are not custom made; you must do it yourself for the Indy look. So how raw is the HJ stock? How much custom work do they do to make a Poet into an Indy? Cut the brim down and reshape the crown and replace the ribbon? I reckon you're paying about a hundred dollars for that HJ logo in the hat. Oh well, thanks for the answer and good luck with the PB. You won't be sorry.
: Cheers!

: Ellison

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: