Herbert Johnson hat measurements.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cueball from 1Cust139.tnt1.brunswick.ga.da.uu.net on August 13, 2000 at 09:40:36:

Quite a ways down the list, Dakota Ellison requested the measurements from my HJ. Sorry it took so long but I had to find a tape measure.

I bought Herbert Johnson this past March and asked for the standard Indiana Jones "Poet" model, as I'm not as concerned as some about exact details. I'm not even concerned about the color of the liner, though I will probably have the Peters Bros. changed to white if I ever have to send it back for cleaning or servicing. I just wanted a nice, well-crafted HJ hat for my nearly $300. It came in about ten days, which was a great surprise after waiting for my Wested.

Size: I gave them a head measurement of 22 3/4" or 58mm (approximately a size 7 1/4). It came a bit snug but I had a David Morgan hat stretcher waiting and the hat now fits perfectly.

Brim: 2 5/8" sides, 2 7/8" front and back.

Crown: 5 3/8" on both sides, 4 5/8" at the front and rear of the crease (that's after I straightened it out; it was nearly a full inch off-center when I got it. Disconcerting, but handy for peaking around corners and still looking cool, I guess).

One additional note, the brim is soft and doesn't hold its shape very well (though I haven't tried steaming it yet). For some reason, I think it looks dull and lifeless. The Peters Bros. comes with a very stiff brim that is beautifully shaped. It's a tough choice and I consider myself lucky to have been able to purchase both.

While I'm at it, here are the measurements from my Peters Bros.

Size: Again, I ordered 22 3/4" (my head hasn't grown any) and it came fitting perfectly, though I still keep a David Morgan hat stretcher in it.

Brim: 2 1/2" on the sides, 2 3/4" front and back (as I requested).

Crown: 5 1/4" on the sides, a little over 4 1/2" front, 4 5/8" rear.

Side by side, the two hats look almost identical. The fractions of inches difference are not noticeable to my eye. I really believe that what looks good on someone else (ie: Harrison Ford) may not look good on you. I also believe that there is not one exact Indiana Jones hat, but several versions of the basic model that were used by the various people who wore them on screen (ie: stuntmen). And, as I understand it, Harrison Ford wore different versions in different scenes based on the logistical nightmare of shooting an action movie. All I know is that the Peters Bros. has a beautiful look to it, and I like the way it looks on me; it seems more authentic (can't do anything about the face) even though it's not THE Indy fedora. That's why I decided to buy both. In closing, the Peters Bros. is definitely less expensive and better crafted, and the manufacturer is so much more convenient and accomodating. I am not expert enough to compare the materials in each, and only time will tell which one is more durable.

Make yourself happy. Good luck.

Cueball

P.S. Jeez, before I started reading IndyGear and this forum, I was happy with my Stetson "Temple" that I got for $25.99 at the manufacturer's outlet in St. Joseph, Missouri.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]