Understood...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.91 on August 14, 2000 at 11:06:03:

In Reply to: Patterson, help me - I don't know what all this jargon means! (regarding whips) posted by Richiana on August 13, 2000 at 19:28:18:

: As you know, I found a company in the UK called Cobra Whips - and they will customise a whip to any specification.

: Anyway, Alex, the manager sent me this info:

: "Aha, 'tis as I suspected. Right, as you know the Indy whips have 2 plaited bellies separated by a bolster with another bolster between the second and the overlay. Both bellies have four strands which poses a slight problem. The strands of the second have to be quite wide, meaning you can't get much compression on the core even when plaiting with full strength (as I do even on fine strands - roo is incredibly strong). Moreover, even if you cut the second set first the radius of curve on the leather is still too tight to allow such wide strands to stretch out straight so you get some buckling when you're plaiting. The result is a whip which lacks density and firmness in the thick section near the butt, giving the whip an "empty" feeling. That, combined with a comparatively heavy point section, reduces the control and speed of the whip. As I wrote earlier, I'd make the second belly with 8 strands but none of this answers your question....... So - a narrower point and lead weighting don't affect the price as there won't be much difference in time taken or cost to build. I make my whips with what I consider to be optimum handling characteristics (probably a personal thing) but could certainly tweak the design to look like an Indi job without having to go for a second belly - ie adjust the standard BK13-10 whip. I'm not sure a second belly would improve matters in a whip less than 12ft in length. If you want one with 2 bellies, I'll work out a price but it won't be cheap - it takes time if you want it done right."

: Can you (or anyone) make any sense of this?

: Here's Hoping - Richiana

Yes, the technicalities of whip construction can be intimidating! Per my conversations with David Morgan, though, Alex is dead on the money. Construction of a whip with 2 bellies is more complicated and time consuming. Basically the belly is the "whip inside the whip". David Morgan uses 2 bellies of plaited roo hide - though the number of plaits evades me, thoug I believe it is 12 for the bellies as well. He has told me that he has used varying formulas, if you will, of adjusting the configuration of the bellies and using lead shot, to get the weight and feel he is looking for. The "tuning" of the whip is why Davids cost so much, and is why Alex's would also probably end up at about the same range.

FYI - the Mark Allens do have double plaited bellies from what I've been told. The quality is fine for 95% of the buyers. If you're looking for an alternative source, I'd steer him towards getting the look at a lower price.

IMHO

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: