Re: Gun chronology

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on August 04, 1998 at 10:53:33:

In Reply to: Gun chronology posted by Indiana John on August 04, 1998 at 10:08:19:

: On 7/24 I posted a question about Indy's guns - no responses.

: Again, do we know where he acquired his guns from?
: Do any of them carry over from his WWI tour?
: WHAT WE DO KNOW:
: In ToD (1935), he loses his gun in the car chase. In Raiders (1936), he gives his gun to Belloch, then we see him with another one when he packs his bag. The Colt used in the bar? Then what about the change to the Webley in LC?

: Additions or Comments please.

I know I responded to this one, but I'll be darned if I can find it either, so here it goes again.....Temple of Doom is the prequel to Raiders, so we must start there...Indy has a Colt New Service revolver that is lost in the first 10 minutes of the movie out the window of the car, the least favorite scene of the movie to me. It is never replaced. In Raiders he first appears with the Smith and Wesson Triple lock .45 (38-44) and Belloq takes it from him. He pulls out another from his desk drawer at his home, and this remains with him until it is apparently left on the ship. He has a Colt .45 secreted on him and it first appears in the Napal fight scene when he first starts the fight with his Smith, then after backing away to the door for cover, switches guns to the Colt .45 ACP (you see the switch, and later the reload if you watch closely). This gun remains with him, reappearing on the ship as he racks a round into the chamber, but apparently is left on the ship too when he swims for the sub. The Webley appears in Last Crusade, but is the creation of the Indy novel writers, who has carried this handgun from the initial introduction in Last Crusade throughout the Indy novels. Incidentally, there are actually two different Webleys seen in the movie, the one he carries throughout the chases and such, and the one surrendered to the Germans in the cave. Different grips completely. Anyway, once again, he leaves at the end of the movie without his sidearm. If Indy is allowed to progress naturally as a thinking individual, I would not be the least bit surprised to see him appear in the fourth movie with a German Walther P-38 9mm, since that's what he used on the the tank and shot 3 enemies at the same time, with apparent complete surprise. Why carry the obsolete British Webley .455 when you could carry a lighter, smaller, more efficient sidearm that is much easier to carry? And that, my friend, is the chronology of the Indy sidearms in order of appearance, and, darn it, disappearances. Hope this helps. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]