Working hats.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-149.col.cableone.net on August 14, 2000 at 18:56:56:

In Reply to: My philosophy on fedoras... posted by Patterson on August 14, 2000 at 15:20:41:

: I've just swapped emails with Joe Jr. at Peters Brothers. They seem like very nice people to work with, and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

: One short response to a post below - the person posting escapes me for the moment, sorry. The "bullet-proof" fedora upon which the custom Indy-job is based refers to the weight of the felt and the fact that it is the more durable rabbit felt. I do not believe they are referring to the amount of stiffener they use? At least that is my understanding. I am not a hat guru, but I believe 5X felt is a pretty robust material to work with. Stiffener breaks down over time, so I guess time will tell.

: For my purposes, I'd rather buy a hat from somebody who makes "working" hats that are made to endure the elements. I've really never been into dress hats, and would prefer not to have any mink or beaver felt in my fedora.

: Not saying anybody is wrong - just stating where I'm coming from with respect to "fedora philosophy".

: IMHO

: Cheers!

: Patterson

I think we both have the same ideas when it comes to hats. I am attracted to Akubras due to this very thing. We must remember that Indy's fedora was a working fedora in the sense that it was for protection from the elements. The PB fedora looks like it was designed for out of doors wear, you won't confuse it with a wimpy dress fedora. Oop! Hope I didn't offend anyone! In regards to the X's when it comes to felt, I have seen cowboy hats with a 1000 x rating. It's insane! I have discovered several custom hat shops on the web recently that all offer the same rated felt. 5x, 7x, 10x, 20x, 50x, and 100x. The 100x is 100 per cent beaver. Pretty easy to understand this system. Interestingly enough, the 5x usually is pure rabbit or hare. Maybe Joe puts a smidgen in his 5x hats, but normally the 5x doesn't have any. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]