Basic differences

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.91 on August 16, 2000 at 11:44:27:

In Reply to: Re: US Wings and the Kangaroo Jacket of Doom... posted by Fedora on August 15, 2000 at 17:00:46:

: : After all the jacket-stuff over the last few weeks, I began to develop an affinity for the Temple of Doom jacket. It really is unique with respect to the other two. Anyway, thoses of you who know me know I really need to find a 12 step plan for leather jackets, and to make a long story a little bit shorter, my kangaroo skin US Wings Indy jacket arrived today.

: : WOW! This is the material ALL Indy jackets should be made from. Check out the section on US Wings that describes the weight and strength of the skin. Anybody who knows their way arounf whips knows that this stuff is really, REALLY strong. And it is very light - on the postage meter here at work it came in at 2.2 lbs, vs. 2.6 lbs for my Wested lambskin and a bit over 5 lbs for my Wested cowhide. The color is a medium-dark brown - very ToD/LC. I went from the thumbnail test up through using the end of a paperclip - the stuff would not take a scrach! Also, it had a very nice cotton (poly-cotton, I believe?) lining. A very nice jacket - I wish all mine were made from this kangaroo skin!

: : I tip my fedora to you, Sgt. Hack!

: : Cheers!

: : Patterson

: : PS - It is darker then the picture shows...

:
: Impressive material! By the way, what are the differences between this jacket and the Wested? I am sure you have answered this before, but I can't find it.
: I have one other question. Do you think Mr. Botright will use the valuable info that you sent in modifying his current offering? That would give me the excuse to buy another jacket. Especially if he incorporates all of the modifications, especially the underarm gussets. I do understand that these were supposedly used on the stunt jackets, but would be a useful addition, especially during fist fights. Regards, Fedora

The US Wings jacket is really the closest thing out there to the true Temple of Doom jacket. Smaller more squared cargo pockets, collar lays flatter, lower shoulder yoke so the bi-swing pleat sits lower on the shoulders by about 1 inch, d-rings attached away from the handwarmers (true to both the RotLA and ToD) but attached on the outside of the jacket. The only real authenticity issues between the US Wings jacket and the ToD jacket are the rings (buckles were used on the movie jacket - easy to fix yourself, I suppose) and the right hand zipper. One other thig - this one does not seem to suffer from the "oversize" problem that my Disney/Cooper jacket has. Much better fit.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: