Good stuff! (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.91 on August 16, 2000 at 14:06:24:

In Reply to: Beaver vs. rabbit posted by Fedora on August 15, 2000 at 23:09:52:

: I had some spare time tonight, and while surfing the web, found some rather interesting info on felt used in hat making. The fellow at HJ was correct in regards to beaver being endangered in Britian. The funny thing about all this is that beaver became extinct in western Europe by the 1500's! The fur trade that opened up the American west supplied Europe with high quality fur for the next 200 years. But that's not all. Beaver fur makes the most durable felt of any type of fur, and this includes rabbit and hare. Beaver felt can withstand harsh treatment, and is more prone to hold it's shape when subjected to numerous wettings. That is why this stuff is so expensive. Of course there is probaly the question of supply as well. This isn't taking anything away from rabbit or hare felt, as this stuff is very durable too, and much less expensive. The point I am trying to make is that beaver felt is the ultimate felt to use in making a tough hat. I have a good web site address in regards to this if anyone else is interested, and they aren't trying to sell you a hat either. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]